• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Bush Approval Ratings

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Bush Approval Ratings

Unread post

Oh please. Clinton did not kill anyone. Come now. I wonder how many Popes killed innocent people and children with that kind of logic.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:BAGHDAD
Izdaari

Unread post

Quote:I don't get this. Why isn't the successful attacks on 9/11 seen as a national security failure on Bush's part? They were, but they also occurred less than a year into his Presidency, and had been in planning for several years, so he wasn't alone in missing it. But I wasn't looking for someone to blame, I was looking for a solution, the problem in this case being national security. And while I didn't think Bush had all the answers, he at least had some of the right questions. Sen. Kerry's UN-fawning internationalist approach to the problem would've IMO not been at all helpful or effective, nor did I consider him to be a trustworthy individual or even necessarily a loyal American, which was probably the decisive factor for me. I would never vote for anyone with his antiwar activist past, not after what he said about America and American troops, unless possibly he'd had a change of heart, and he never did. Quote:And this is a topic that usually results in a dog chasing its tail, but if our enemies are Islamic fundamentalists, what the hell are we doing in Iraq?I'm not going to get into debating the Iraq thing here, but I will say I probably wouldn't have done it, but now that we have, I want as good an outcome from it as we can get, and I don't think being in a big hurry to get out is likely to accomplish that. Quote:Mr. P was the only one saying much about Bush's approval ratings. And I didn't see anything hateful in either one of his posts.My post also directly addressed Bush's approval ratings, and I included a directly relevant link. Mr. P is an admitted Bush hater, surely not the only one on this board from what I've seen, but that's not the same thing as being a hateful guy. Quite to the contrary, I think he's a big teddy bear. Edited by: Izdaari  at: 9/23/05 10:42 am
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

ME?! A Teddy bear? Now that is character assassination! I will sue. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Mr P, do us a favour and explain yourself a bit.Do you really think that because you believe the US should not have invaded Iraq, it should not help the rebuild what it is in a large part responsible for detroying?That seems to me a little like a murderer not phoning an ambulance on the grounds that he wished he hadn't tried to kill the man in the first place.And related to Iraq, are you some sort of isolationist? And Isdaari, tell me, what exactly do you believe in? It's just that your use of the phrase 'fawning internationalist' confuses me a little. I know that many Americans generally dislike it when their government actually consults others on matters of international importance, are you one of them? When I say, what exactly do you believe in, I mean, what do you think the goal of US foreign policy should be, should your government pursuit that goal by any means possible and is it possible to do so? I get the impression that you believe in US exceptionalism, am I right and if I am, how do you justify that position? Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

How much is your country footing of this bill?We have problems here now...for Iraq to be anything other than understanding right now is just too bad for them. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 9/23/05 11:42 am
Izdaari

Unread post

Niall, Quote:And Isdaari, tell me, what exactly do you believe in? It's just that your use of the phrase 'fawning internationalist' confuses me a little. I know that many Americans generally dislike it when their government actually consults others on matters of international importance, are you one of them?I believe the exact phrase I used was "UN-fawning internationalist." I'm all for taking the views of other nations into account, and especially those of our allies, but I think the UN is thoroughly corrupt and untrustworthy, and I'm against yielding even an iota more of our national soverelgnty to it.Other than that, my foreign policy views are eclectic, drawing from the wisdom of several schools: I'm generally hawkish though not so neo-Wilson as the neocons, with both realpolitik and Old Right isolationist tendencies. If you drew a triangle between Ronald Reagan, Henry Kissinger and the late Sen. Robert A. Taft, I'd be somewhere in the middle.Quote:When I say, what exactly do you believe in, I mean, what do you think the goal of US foreign policy should be, should your government pursuit that goal by any means possible and is it possible to do so? I get the impression that you believe in US exceptionalism, am I right and if I am, how do you justify that position?I think the aforementioned Senator Taft explained the goals better than I could:Quote:Fundamentally, I believe the ultimate purpose of our foreign policy must be to protect the liberty of the people of the United States. The American Revolution was fought to establish a nation "conceived in liberty." That liberty has been defended in many wars since that day. That liberty has enabled our people to increase steadily their material welfare and their spiritual freedom. To achieve that liberty we have gone to war, and to protect it we would go to war again . . .Only second to liberty is the maintenance of peace. . . . Our traditional policy of neutrality and non-interference with other nations was based on the principle that this policy was the best way to avoid disputes with other nations and to maintain the liberty of this country without war. From the days of George Washington that has been the policy of the United States. It has never been isolationism; but it has always avoided alliances and interference in foreign quarrels as a preventive against possible war, and it has always opposed any commitment by the United States, in advance, to take any military action outside of our territory. It would leave us free to interfere or not according to whether we consider the case of sufficiently vital interest to the liberty of this country. It was the policy of the free hand.I like that a lot for goals. Does that represent American exceptionalism to you? If so, I plead guilty. That's really just a more contemporary restatement of traditional American foreign policy, as formulated by Washington and Jefferson. Could the Iraq venture fit into that? I'm undecided. As for means, I'm only indifferently scrupulous: If Reagan or Kissinger, or Tom Clancy's fictional President Jack Ryan would do it, probably so would I. Edited by: Izdaari  at: 9/23/05 12:52 pm
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:but I think the UN is thoroughly corrupt and untrustworthyYes, but the same is said about the US. The UN is a good idea. It needs a fix, yes, but it can still serve a purpose.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Niall:I am all for helping everyone in need, but the simple truth is that when it comes down to it, we take care of our own first. It is only natural. What pissed me off is that everyone has their hands out when the US is concerned, but then all I hear is how bad we are generally.I admit we are no angels, but who is? But if you accept that the US is THE strongest force militarily and economically, then you resign yourself to accepting what and when we give. If not, find a way to make us less important.Again...how much aid does your country give? AND I do not want percentages....dollar amounts. Let's compare.If this fuckwad would realize that we have to raise taxes, as much as his crew wants to deny it, we would all be better off. He is gambling away MY kids future, so no, I do not give a f#$k about Iraq right now.Anyway...is'nt Iraq sitting on a HUGE supply of OIL? We should be getting them top dollar for that. That would pay for alot, no? The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Izdaari

Unread post

Quote:Yes, but the same is said about the US. The UN is a good idea. It needs a fix, yes, but it can still serve a purpose.Then fix it and get back to me, and I'll give it another look. But I'll agree it has its uses even as it is.As for the US government's problems... well, I wouldn't compare them to the UN's, which IMO is so corrupt that only the most corrupt cities in the US, like Baltimore and New Orleans, even begin to compare. But in any case, I'm kinda stuck with the US problems since I live here, and can't opt out as easily as I can with the UN. Edited by: Izdaari  at: 9/23/05 1:10 pm

Return to “Current Events & History”