• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Book Suggestion

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
mrsilona

Book Suggestion

Unread post

Hi everyone....I'm a first-time author whose book, Moving a Nation to Care: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and America's Returning Troops, will be publishing on May 1. I invite you to consider it for a future book club review. The slim volume is written in the hopes of bringing more average citizens -- just like me -- into the issue of caring about and for our returning troops through our combined advocacy and action.I do hope that you might consider it!Cheers,Ilona MeagherEditor, PTSD Combat:Winning the War Within
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Book Suggestion

Unread post

Ilona, thanks for telling us about your new book. This is definitely a book that we would consider for discussion. I'm curious what personal events in your life contributed towards your interest in PTSD. My father suffers from mild PTSD from his experiences in Vietnam so I know a little about the disorder.I wish you the best with this new book and hope it sells well. With the hundreds of thousands of Iraq Veterans coming home we're going to have an enormous problem on our hands soon. The timing of your book couldn't be better. I'm going to add this book suggestion to the Q3, 2007 Nonfiction Book Suggestions thread.
mrsilona

Re: Book Suggestion

Unread post

Thank you so much, Chris.Apologies that it took me a while to get back to you; it's been a whirlwind, and I'm also in the midst of finals for classes this semester. A bit of a swamping!To answer your question, I was drawn to this topic due to a few events and experiences:#1) I'm the daugter of a veteran, and so I've always followed issues concerning politics and military service perhaps more than the average citizen; but, since I don't have anyone very close to me serving presently, I still lump myself in with the 99.5% of Americans who aren't fully connected to our current wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.#2) I read an article in Seattle Weekly in August 2005 that drew me into the issue. It listed some disturbing incidents that followed the return home of troops at Fort Lewis who had been deployed to Iraq. I had questions after reading the piece, and my quest for more information got underway. That quest eventually led to writing Moving a Nation to Care (more in my bio). Thanks for considering the work for your fine book discussion list!Appreciate your efforts in its behalf.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”