• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Book signing questions

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kasteer
Master Debater

Book signing questions

Unread post

Good morning... I have my first book signing scheduled for 11/12 at Cafe Caturra here in Midlothian, Va. I'll be there from 8 - noon, or until I'm out of books.

My questions are...
- What kind of signage do I need to bring and how should I word it?
- Any tips for a first book signing?

Thanks!
Author of two books:
Landslide: Poor Management and How to Avoid it
Astral
My author's page: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Kasten/e/B00 ... 651&sr=8-1
Avid Reader
Cunning Linguist

Re: Book signing questions

Unread post

I’ve been to a lot of book signings, and though I never really paid much attention to the signage, from what I remember the signs are generally standing up on the table and are about 11” X 17” (double the standard 8-1/2” X 11”). They usually have a photo of the book cover in the middle, with the author’s name above it, and something else below, probably the words “Book Signing,” or “Meet The Author,” or something like that. I think I’ve seen some with a photo of the Author on them, possibly to make it easier for people to recognize him/her. Perhaps you could do one with the book cover and one with a photo of yourself, to put on each end of the table. Anyway, that’s what I remember, and good luck with your signing! :D
Money is a lousy way of keeping score.
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Avid Reader wrote:I’ve been to a lot of book signings, and though I never really paid much attention to the signage, from what I remember the signs are generally standing up on the table and are about 11” X 17” (double the standard 8-1/2” X 11”). They usually have a photo of the book cover in the middle, with the author’s name above it, and something else below, probably the words “Book Signing,” or “Meet The Author,” or something like that. I think I’ve seen some with a photo of the Author on them, possibly to make it easier for people to recognize him/her. Perhaps you could do one with the book cover and one with a photo of yourself, to put on each end of the table. Anyway, that’s what I remember, and good luck with your signing! :D
Thank you for the response. I was thinking of printing up the front and back covers for the sign. I like the "Meet the author" idea.

It's been a while since I've been to a book signing... and don't recall the signage.
Author of two books:
Astral
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

My book came out Nov. 1st so I'm in the same boat. My publisher made up posters that say, "Meet the Author of..." There is a photo of me and of the front of the book. The poster keeps with the colors and theme of the book and the cover of the book. As far as what exactly to sign, be sure to ask. It's interesting to me that a lot of peple just want a signature. They don't want anything else. And always ask for the spelling of names; I had a Jane that was Jyne. Seriously! Good luck and have fun! I'm also told that customers love bookmarks. ~Karen
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Karen Fisher-Alaniz wrote:My book came out Nov. 1st so I'm in the same boat. My publisher made up posters that say, "Meet the Author of..." There is a photo of me and of the front of the book. The poster keeps with the colors and theme of the book and the cover of the book. As far as what exactly to sign, be sure to ask. It's interesting to me that a lot of peple just want a signature. They don't want anything else. And always ask for the spelling of names; I had a Jane that was Jyne. Seriously! Good luck and have fun! I'm also told that customers love bookmarks. ~Karen
Great suggestions. I am leaning towards "Meet a local author", but I also like your suggestion because it includes the name of the book. ...decisions! I'll be stopping by the printer this evening...

As for fun... I'm planning on it. :)

Thank you very much!
Eric
Author of two books:
Astral
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

You're welcome!
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

How exciting - good luck! Perhaps you will let us know how it goes?
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

update: Was at the cafe for 3 hours. Very fun at times, slow at others. Talked with 5 people. Sold 3 copies. One person only had 6 bucks so I gave her the Amazon ordering info and another person talked to me and passed on buying. Staff was very friendly ...and I was given a free cup of coffee.
Author of two books:
Astral
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Well, that sounds a little depressing. But you never know what connections you've made. Any one of the people you talked to could go tell someone else who is in a position to help promote your book in some way. So, you can't always judge the success of an event by book sales. Just keep working at it. ~Karen
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

I don't feel negative about it in any way. I wish I could have had more sales and interactions with people, but it is what it is. It was my first book signing and I hope I have an opportunity to do better next time.
Author of two books:
Astral

Return to “Author's Lounge”