|Book Discussion Leader Tips
• Prepare ahead of time or at least try to read a little faster than most participants.
• Create posts with biographical information about the author.
• Create poll threads to stimulate thought and discussion.
• Ask questions by creating new threads that get people thinking and talking.
• Don't ask closed-ended questions such as "Did you like the book?" Instead, word your question so respondents have to explain themselves. "What did you like most about the book?"
• Respect everyone's opinion. Quite often the most active book discussion participant didn't like the book or the author's general thesis and they say so in the book forum. Negative comments should be welcomed provided they are civil, respectful and constructive.
• Share your favorite passages or quotes and ask people for their favorites.
• Be a good listener and observer. Listen for quiet members and try to draw them into the discussion. Watch for someone anxious to get into the conversation and help them to find a gap in the conversation.