• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Bob Dylan Nobel Speech

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Bob Dylan Nobel Speech

Unread post

https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes ... cture.html

Listen to this. Dylan explains how Moby Dick, All Quiet on the Western Front and The Odyssey influenced his writing. He is totally brilliant.

DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Bob Dylan Nobel Speech

Unread post

That was worth waiting for. Artists like Dylan are able to absorb what they read, to feel it in their bones, as he clearly did. I read his Chronicles, Vol. 1 several years back when it came out and have wondered when Vol. 2 will be arriving. The thing that most impressed me about the book is exactly what comes through in his Nobel speech: that he doesn't distinguish between low and high as far as culture goes, or even care much about about what we'd call the talent of the artist. Everything was grist for his mill and he liked everything, from Vic Damone to Tiny Tim (whom he roomed with) to Frank Sinatra. He also has the wisdom to know that in his originality, he isn't original.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

A quick look at some of Dylan's genius theft is at http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20110511

In his Nobel Speech, Dylan's discussion of Moby Dick reminded me of When the Ship Comes In. All Quiet on the Western Front made me think of Masters of War, and It's Alright Ma. The Odyssey reminded me of Mr Tambourine Man.

For him to take these wonderful iconic influences and share their great depths with a popular audience through his Nobel speech is a really sublime thing that will ripple out through the world, showing the inspired thinking that caused the Swedes to give the highest literature prize to this mere songwriter.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I'm not sure which books I connect with particular songs. "Tangled Up in Blue" is my favorite Dylan song and seems Odyssey-like. Dylan seems to tell us that the artistic accomplishment of the writers was his greatest inspiration, so that he, too, wanted to infuse his songs with similar depth of allusion and timelessness. The Swedes were on the money. They have awarded poets the prize before, the last being Wislawa Szymborska in 1996, so to go with Dylan really wasn't such a departure. Dylan's a bard, and the bardic figure is the progenitor of literary poets.

Return to “Author's Lounge”