• In total there are 2 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Bishop T.D. Jakes on NPR

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
riverc0il
Senior

Bishop T.D. Jakes on NPR

Unread post

www.npr.org/templates/sto...d=10173772Heard a great story during my commute home tonight. Bishop T.D. Jakes is a preacher with a huge following, best selling books, and goes around the country preaching at festivals. The introduction to this story made Mr. Jakes seem like your typical evangelist preacher but the interview continued on to suggest anything but typical. Matter of fact, I never thought I could agree so much with someone so high up in the hierarchy of organized religion.Quote:"I know many people who really love the Lord, but they might not be a good president," Jakes says.I know someone that fits this description Though I don't think that particular linkage was intended, it gave me a chuckle.Quote:He says that to be an effective leader, "you can't just be the president of the Christians. You have to be the president of the United States, which incorporates atheists, agnostics and all brands of faith," Jakes says. "And many, many Christians don't understand that. They see this as a Christian nation. But I don't see this as a theocracy. I see it as a democracy."Yes! Quote:"I think that religious people, minorities and many others have been played on, that people say things to incite us to riot, to get us to vote and then don't fulfill promises," Jakes says. "I'm tired of being a pawn. I want us to be united again."Still nodding my head!Quote:"I think really religion in general is struggling with politics, not just African Americans. Many, many times we've allowed ourselves to be taken up under the control of this party or that party, and I think that's dangerous when you do that," he tells Michele Norris. "I don't think that God should be assigned to a party. When the party goes bad, then the clergy are embarrassed, and I think that faith should transcend politics," he says.Are the Republicans taking notes? The Christian Conservative wing of the Republican party could potentially be damaging the entire party with their extremism. Using religion as a political tool and soapbox seems inappropriate.Can I get an Amen?Listen the the audio as it contains the full interview instead of just snippets. I really enjoyed this segment and wished more religious leaders and politicians would get in line with this perspective and point of view. This perspective makes modern organized religion much more tolerable. Keep the religion and politics separate.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Bishop T.D. Jakes on NPR

Unread post

Great post...if there were more people like this man, my thermostat would be set quite a bit lower than it currently is!Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
irishrosem

1E - BANNED
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Bishop T.D. Jakes on NPR

Unread post

This sounds a lot like the evangelical radio host featured in Jesus Camp. He was obviously very religious and very much a separationist. He was also highly critical of churches who preached to their congregations regarding politics.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”