• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Biblical Conundrums...

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
the raged

Biblical Conundrums...

Unread post

(I posted this in another forum a while back, but figured I'd post it here to see if you guys have any other suggestions!)...or, problems in the bible that I still have yet to see a satisfactory answer too.Are there any others you guys can think of? I'm doing this off the top of my head, so feel free to chime in!---------------*God taking 7 days to create the world*God taking a day to rest*Lucifer, the most beautiful (and probably intelligent) thing created by god, thinking he could overthrow god, whom he knew to be all-powerful*Lucifer being able to convince other angels to do the same*The uprising actually taking place, and called a "war" when one of the sides had the trump card of an all-powerful being.*God banishing satan instead of outright destroying him. (that would have saved the world from alot of pain and suffering, and we would still have free will on earth!)*Free-will, as used to explain why evil exists, specifically, will free will be around in heaven, if so, will evil exist, if not, why is it not like that here on earth? *Pain and suffering existing on earth, when god is supposedly all-knowing, all-powerful, and loving.*Adam and Eve being held responsible for eating of the tree when they did not have the knowledge of good and evil*God punishing everyone from that day forward for 2 people's actions*Humans living 300+ years before the flood, that age decreasing afterwards. (this is with no modern medicine either!)*All the animals in the world making it to the ark*The flood, and everything encompassed in that myth*All the animals being able to disperse throughout the world, even to islands that they would not be able to make it too*The anger that was displayed by god in the old testament, contrasted against the love that was displayed by jesus in the new testament. (Though there was love displayed in the old testament, and anger displayed in the new testament, anger was much, much more prevalent in the Old Testament, as was love in the New Testament.)*Jesus cursing a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season, and then destroying it.*The bible saying that it only takes the faith of a mustard seed to move a mountain, yet there are no mountains flying around.*God knowing all that will happen, yet us still having freewill.----------I know that is just for starters, so feel free to add to the list!If I think of anymore, I'll be sure to add those too
Drunkenblade of Kay

Re: Biblical Conundrums...

Unread post

It seem's pretty obvious doesn't it, Luke. How could so many people be duped for so long and to such an extent when there are these glaringly obvious discrepencies? Why can't we just sit down, show them the logic, and wait for them to say "Oh, well in that case, Christianity must be wrong." But it just doesn't happen...partly because we as atheists, agnostics, and nonbelievers are a bit biased and often procure criticisms which aren't necessarily justified. For instance, we sometimes generalize all Christians as believing in the seven day literal theory of Creation, when many openly accept the possibility of cosmological origins in the sense of it being a mechanism of creation. But that point aside, I agree with you that there are just too many unexplainable difficulties for Christianity to be a tenable belief system. Why then is it so prevalent in our society? If it is as simple as logical consistency would imply, how is it even able to exist from one generation to the next, and why is atheism or agnosticism so adamantly rejected when promoted in a rational and cogent fashion?
the raged

Unread post

Yes, some do regonize the mythos present in the OT, and don't take it literally (on the other forum, I included a small section saying that if you are not a literalist, not all of these apply to you.), and I tend to have a bit more respect for them than those that argue for a young earth.I'll agree that some criticism is unnecessarily justified. If you can point out those on my list which does not have a good base, I'll be happy to expound on those and discuss them with you. (a friendly chat of course!) - I personally don't care to argue things that aren't well thought out, or used incorrectly (as some lists of 'biblical contradictions' seem to include), and usually try and make sure that my arguements have a pretty solid base. I am always open for criticism though!Why is it so adamantly rejected?Dare I bring out the age old arguements of conditioning, fear of the unknown, explinations for the unexplainable, and the psychological need to believe in some people? Na...With as much time as it has had to develop and evolve, it doesn't suprise me that religion is so prevalent. The longer a religion is around, the better it becomes at adapting itself to modern times.
Drunkenblade of Kay

Unread post

Nah, I agree with all of your points...especially the one about the fig tree. That one cracks me up.
the raged

Unread post

Does that mean I win the debate? lol...j/k! Yah, the fig tree one has always made me laugh with bewilderment.Someone on the other forum said that it was used as an example to his disciples that if a tree (christian) does not bear fruit (faith? good works?) than it will be destroyed.It has to make you think though. If god destroys the tree for not bearing fruit when it is not supposed to, how could we expect him to be just in judging those who had doubts of his existance simply because they were provided no evidence that he does exist? Or those who had never even heard of jesus, such as isolated cultures through out the world?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”