• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Best book on grammar/style??

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Best book on grammar/style??

Unread post

Hello. I've been shopping around recently for a good book on grammar/style

I already own The Elements of Style, but I wanted something more...substantial...

So what are your favorites? Especially on style, since I'm less concerned about precision and more about clarity, but precision is fine as well, just be sure to distinguish.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Best book on grammar/style??

Unread post

An interesting request. I am not sure if the following are what you are looking for :? but of the several books on writing and writing style on my bookshelf, I found these two to be the most helpful. :)

On Writing Well, An Informal Guide to Writing Nonfiction by by William Zinsser, Harper & Row (1970); and

On Writing by Stephen King (Yes, that Stephen King) :wink: , Scribner (2000).

I hope they are what you are looking for and may be of some use to you. :)
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
SkywardGnost
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I've actually read On Writing and it didn't feel like a guide on writing or grammar to be honest. It was more of a biography sprinkled with a tip here or there. But I will check out the Zinsser book.

I'm looking for something along the lines of a rules of style/grammar kind of thing.

Thanks!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

The Well-Crafted Sentence: A Writer's Guide to Style by Nora Bacon is an excellent primer on the subject.
-Geo
Question everything
_Luckyme_
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I swear by the Oxford Style Guide. But as with all things language the style guides do not see things uniform. What is right according to Elements could be different in Oxford. So it's preference, but I prefer Oxford.
A little mouse can be found everywhere and of course also in her home
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Take a look at Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynn Truss. It's exclusively about punctuation, but it's surprisingly entertaining and does improve appreciation for syntax as well.

Prescriptiveness in grammar and writing is falling by the wayside, it seems. I don't know whether this is good or bad. I become irritated with both rule-mongers and people who don't know the rules. When I tried school teaching as a younger person, I tried to tell students that the word "ain't" is perfectly fine grammatically; it just isn't considered to be standard usage. They didn't like hearing that. Same when I told them it was okay to start a sentence with "but" or "and." They wanted to believe what their previous English teachers had drummed into them.
shuart24
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I swear by The Little English Handbook by Edward P.J. Corbett.

Return to “Author's Lounge”