• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Belated Happy Independence Day

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Belated Happy Independence Day

Unread post

To all my friends on Booktalk:
A belated Happy Birthday to the United States of America.

The United States: My country, right or wrong.
When she is right, to keep her that way.
When she is wrong, to put her right.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Belated Happy Independence Day

Unread post

Thanks, Cattleman! Happy 4th!
-Geo
Question everything
Harry Marks
Bookasaurus
Ukraine

Unread post

My wife thinks I am strange for being patriotic. Maybe I am. But I appreciate both the fact it is where I come from and the symbolism of a republic, free of the tyranny of greater force (even as tamed by legitimacy and thus aristocracy). We have led the way on some progress, and dragged our feet on other progress. We have not tamed tribalist racism, but we have set our minds to doing something about it, and elected our first Black president.

There still exists, to my mind, an "us". It comes in all colors, it includes the fervently meritocratic and the not so much. Paul Krugman observed today that our satisfaction level is at record highs. Now if only we could turn our (brilliant, in some cases) minds to stopping climate change.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Beautiful words, Harry Marks. :bow:

I'm the only house in my neighborhood that flies the American flag proudly. I don't get it. Why hasn't anyone else been inspired by seeing my flag flying? Has my flag triggered any discussions about flags and patriotism amongst my neighbors? Do they judge me? How so? I'm curious.

Even though I'm really frustrated with politics and politicians today I still do love what this country stands for.

Return to “Current Events & History”