• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Battleground God

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Battleground God

Unread post

This was posted on another forum and I thought it was interesting. Can your beliefs about religion make it across our intellectual battleground? Take the challenge. www.philosophers.co.uk/games/god.htm
Rackhir

Re: Battleground God

Unread post

Fun way to spend lunch time. I recieved a "Medal of Honour". At least I know my lunacy is self-consistent. Steve
greg in the machine

Unread post

That was pretty cool. I got hit once and had to bite the bullet once, too. I got the secondary award, whatever they call it.G
Tim OConnor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Interesting. I was awarded a medal of honor and it also said "You suffered zero direct hits and bit zero bullets."Not bad for a guy who considers himself a Christian, huh?
Tim OConnor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Okay, just for fun I went back and took this test again. But this time, I provided answers that I think your typical religious/mystical person might provide.I suffered an honerable discharge and was told I needed to "give some serious thought to [my] belief in God." Indeed.I took 2 direct hits and bit the bullet 3 times.Fun stuff.
Lucaya

Unread post

I started this questionnaire, but I did not finish and here is why....I do not think they phrased the questions correctly. For example, I said that I wanted as little suffering in the world as possible, which is absolutely true. Then I said yes to the question that said that God "could" make everything that is sinful be acceptable and make everything that is good be sinful. Technically, since God is omnipotent, God "could" do that, but I do not think that God would. But according to this survey, I contradicted myself. Therefore, I had to take a bullet for responding as I did. I do not agree with this. There is no way that by asking me if someone...ANYONE..."could" or "could not" do something has anything to do with my feelings on suffering. The only thing that would make their conclusions have an ounce of validity, is if they asked me how I felt if God "would" do that. Because of this, I did not think I would get any value out of the results.I know that it was just for fun, but it would be much better if they phrased the questions more carefully.
Tim OConnor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Lucaya:Are you sure you read the questions correctly? The question doesn't what you want, but what God should want: "Any being which it is right to call God must want there to be as little suffering in the word as is possible."Still, I agree with you: the questions are sometimes frustrating because of their specific phrasing. However, if you really think them through and answer exactly how you feel, I think you will find that this test is pretty interesting.Tim
greg in the machine

Unread post

The point of "Battleground God" is not to condone or condemn any particular belief, but only to rate how consistent your beliefs are. They only consider how your answers relate to each other, not to some external standard of correctness.I also found the specificity a little frustrating at first, especially when it forced me to "bite the bullet". But upon further consideration I saw that it was only upholding precise consistency, which is all it promises to do.Also remember that no one ever said our beliefs must be internally consistent all of the time. We are all growing, evolving people; as our beliefs (or lack of them) change, so will the degree with which they remain consistent. Resolving such issues is what learning is all about.G
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I got the TPM medal of distinction, because I had to bite the bullet once :(I answered "true" to "God has the power to create square circles and make 1 + 1 = 7" or somethign to that effect :( This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Need I say more?Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da VinciEdited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/7/02 9:28:15 pm

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”