• In total there are 2 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Aviator

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Aviator

Unread post

I left part way through "Aviator". I found it very disturbing. The theme is madness... watching a talented, intelligent person lose his mind was difficult. But what really kicked me in the nuts was the audience. They were laughing at manifestations of insanity. And I couldn't brush that off with "its only a movie" because it was the real audience.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Re: Aviator

Unread post

Aeschylus, a Greek playwright back in 500 BC considered the father of Greek tragedies. An eagle mistook Aeschylus' head for a rock (he was bald) and dropped it on him instead. He died.Come on, its funny! Its just like a lot of political comedy. It might be funny to see George Bush reading a child's book upside down or talking about bondage between a mother and child, but just because you laugh at it doesn't mean that you think its funny when the idiot invades Iraq or messes up the environment. The tragic is often comic and the comic is usually tragic.I haven't seen this movies yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Perhaps the movie producers wanted people to laugh at those times. I haven't seen Aviator yet, but plan on seeing it soon.People laugh at everything these days and it tends to help us all get through lifes ups and downs a little more easily. Did you see "Something About Mary?" The one guy is trying to win over Mary by lying and saying he works with mentally handi-capped kids. He says, "I work with retards. Yea, gosh, I just love those little goofy bastards." ROFL I almost pissed my pants right there!!! That has to be one of the funniest lines I've ever heard in my life. I literally had to pause the movie and wait for 5 minutes while I recovered.People laugh at things that aren't really funny for a variety of reasons. When we hear or see something that is so outrageous we tend to laugh. Remember when Castro tripped and fell in front of a huge audience? Even Fox News kept rewinding and replaying it over and over. It was hilarious, yet nobody really wants to see Castro break his leg. Or do they?Chris
atsquish

Unread post

I think people want him to break a lot more than just his leg.I've watched The Aviator three times, and I really like the movie. I don't remember thinking that the audience's reaction was ever inappropriate, but I don't remember much laughter during the movie. I suppose the reaction to the film would be different depending on which audience you watch it with. This really reminds me of the movie "Saw". I've watched it twice (against my will both times because it's a really horrible movie). The first time was with some friends at the local movie theater and the second time was at my school's movie night. In it, there's a scene where a guy is on the phone with his wife- and he knows that his wife and daughter are currently in a room with someone who wants to murder them. What he hears is a small struggle, gunshots, and his daughter screaming. He assumes the worst and is on the floor in tears. What really happened was his wife had gotten the murderers gun and was shooting in his direction. When I watched this with a normal crowd there was no memorable reaction, but when I watched it at school, all the other college students thought that this guy crying over what he thinks is the death of his wife and daughter was histerically funny. I've never been so shocked at an audience reaction to a movie. Edited by: atsquish  at: 4/7/05 3:13 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

atsquishInteresting that one group found something like that hilarious. Some people can be quite odd.Back when the OJ trial was on TV every single day for months, I watched it religiously. The whole thing was fascinating. The day the verdict was announced I was at the University of South Florida gym working out. As the time approached for the announcing of the verdict a huge group of students formed around the big screen TV.I'll never ever forget what I heard this black guy says out loud after OJ was found not guilty. Almost with pride and arrogance this piece of shit said to a freind, purposely loud enough for all to hear, "My boy just got away with murder." Those words, mixed with that shit smile on his face, made me sick to my stomach.People are weird. Some of us act differently when we have an audience too. Call it mob mentality or something else, but there is a portion of society that finds it cool to be cold and ruthless and assinine.Chris

Return to “Everything Else”