• In total there are 33 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Atheistic Novels

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saint Gasoline

Atheistic Novels

Unread post

I'm glad I found this place. I'm an avid reader, religiously atheistic, and a glutton for all things scientific.I have a Bachelor of Arts in English, and I have tried to read every atheistic-themed novel I can get my hands on. So if any of you are looking for some fiction or poetry with atheistic characters or themes, give some of these books a try:-A Burnt-Out Case by Graham Greene (A personal favorite)-Catch-22 by Joseph Heller-The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (A bit redundant, and don't be sucked in too much by her "philosophy", but still a good story)-The Castle by Franz Kafka (A guy is trying to find the "lord" of a castle, but finds it is impossible to ever reach the castle or the lord...Substitute "God" for "lord" and "heaven" for "castle" to see the atheistic theme)-The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe (You have to read into it a bit, but the house can be read as a symbol for religion or mysticism)-The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky-1984 by George Orwell (Big Brother is not only a symbol for governmental oppression, but also a symbol for God)-The Plague by Albert Camus-"The Diamond as Big as the Ritz" by F. Scott Fitzgerald-"A Hunger Artist" by Kafka (You'll have to read this one as an allegory, too, probably)-"A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings" by Gabriel-Garcia Marquez-"Sunday Morning" by Wallace Stevens-All of Stephen Crane's poetry-"The War Prayer" by Mark TwainAnd, of course-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, duh...perhaps one of the more well-known atheistic novelsThere's probably many more that I have forgotten, but you should definitely give a few of these books a try. I've included only books or stories or poems that I felt were genuinely good, as well. I can recall a number of atheistic stories that simply weren't very good, and I didn't bother to include those.If you have any suggestions for me that you think I may have missed, let me know. I'm always looking for a good book or a good poem.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Atheistic Novels

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk! I am glad to see that you have jumped right into the forum discussions. I have enjoyed reading your posts. It looks like you'll fit in nicely here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Atheistic Novels

Unread post

Welcome Saint! I'd love to see those suggestions over in the Book Suggestions & Polls forum too. They would get more visibility there.Chris

Return to “Everything Else”