• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Arguing for Theism

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: A Miracle

Unread post

To keep from derailing Fiske's thread, I'm moving my reply to another thread.Oh, and in the interests of playing Fiske's game, I'll take the atheist side. Here's my argument:There is no logical or emirical proof for or against the existence of a god or gods. Therefore, the decision between the two ultimately boils down to personal choice, informed by the person's experiences and desires. I see no particular reason to believe in God, therefore, I am an atheist. To convince others of atheism, I could provide a number of arguments as to why it's more practical or more personally satisfying to be an atheist (just think! Sundays off!), but they're only convincing in so far as the other person doesn't feel that they have more convincing personal reasons to be a theist. You win some, you lose some. Edited by: MadArchitect at: 12/28/06 2:53 pm
FiskeMiles

Re: Arguing for Theism

Unread post

Dear Agnostic:I'm in the habit of copying my post (Ctrl-A followed by Ctrl-C) BEFORE clicking the Add Reply button. I'm sorry your effort got lost in the mysterious black hole of missing bits. I'm sure I would have enjoyed reading it.Fiske
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

--

Unread post

Actually Lan, you're not talking about ACTUALLY having the answer. You're talking about THINKING you have the actual answer. Every nutjob thinks they have the ACTUAL answer, and some of the crap they come up with is VERY complicated.But we can leave it if you like. What I'm trying to show though is that while there are no doubt certain events that could occur that would convince you of God's existence, this should not be the case if you (not you in particular but atheists generally) believed in your arguments.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Miracle?

Unread post

Fiske: I'm sorry to say your argument for atheism isn't any more convincing than your argument for theism.It shouldn't be. It's the same argument.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”