• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Any ideas for marketing... getting the word out?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Gary Val Tenuta
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Re: Any ideas for marketing... getting the word out?

Unread post

kasteer wrote:
Awesome post and Huge THANKS for the tips! I was trying to figure out how Amazon did their ranking. I thought it was related to what you view, as in "Other who viewed this book, also viewed these...". I'll get some people to click away on the tags.

I started business cards several times online, but haven't gone through with that yet. I should be getting a check form Lulu soon and I think I'll use that to reinvest in the book via business cards.

I've had a few sales and I think it takes a little while for Amazon to get the book thoroughly blended into its system... at least that was my thinking.

Good luck with ASH. It looks pretty cool. I'll send you ya signed copy of ASTRAL if you send a signed copy of ASH and we can post reviews/rating on Amazon for each other. Just a thought.

Thanks again!
I went to your amazon page for your book, Astral, so I could click your tags up a notch but noticed you hadn't added any tags yet. So I tagged it for you. You should add some more if you can think of any others that people might use as keywords (that's really what "tags" are) when searching amazon for a book like yours. You'll notice there's a little box right next to each tag and a little number beside the box. If you can get your friends, family, etc. to go to your page and click those boxes, you'll see the little number increases by 1. But each person can only click each tag once. If the same person clicks a tag more than once then it reduces the number by 1.

If you get a chance, I could use a click on my tags at amazon.com/Ash-Return-Beast-ebook/dp/B0 ... amp;sr=1-1 Thanks in advance! :D
ASH: Return Of The Beast
A fictional supernatural crime thriller, steeped in the occult and inspired by a real-life mystery.
http://www.ashreturnofthebeast.webs.com
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Gary Val Tenuta wrote:
kasteer wrote:
Awesome post and Huge THANKS for the tips! I was trying to figure out how Amazon did their ranking. I thought it was related to what you view, as in "Other who viewed this book, also viewed these...". I'll get some people to click away on the tags.

I started business cards several times online, but haven't gone through with that yet. I should be getting a check form Lulu soon and I think I'll use that to reinvest in the book via business cards.

I've had a few sales and I think it takes a little while for Amazon to get the book thoroughly blended into its system... at least that was my thinking.

Good luck with ASH. It looks pretty cool. I'll send you ya signed copy of ASTRAL if you send a signed copy of ASH and we can post reviews/rating on Amazon for each other. Just a thought.

Thanks again!
I went to your amazon page for your book, Astral, so I could click your tags up a notch but noticed you hadn't added any tags yet. So I tagged it for you. You should add some more if you can think of any others that people might use as keywords (that's really what "tags" are) when searching amazon for a book like yours. You'll notice there's a little box right next to each tag and a little number beside the box. If you can get your friends, family, etc. to go to your page and click those boxes, you'll see the little number increases by 1. But each person can only click each tag once. If the same person clicks a tag more than once then it reduces the number by 1.

If you get a chance, I could use a click on my tags at amazon.com/Ash-Return-Beast-ebook/dp/B0 ... amp;sr=1-1 Thanks in advance! :D
I clicked on the 15 tags it allowed me to.

Thanks for the Tag on ASTRAL. I recall adding tags when I put the kindle version on there, but not the paperback. I understand now how that works and will add some tags.

Thank you for the knowledge! Feel free to visit my amazon page later today to click on more tags. :)
Author of two books:
Landslide: Poor Management and How to Avoid it
Astral
My author's page: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Kasten/e/B00 ... 651&sr=8-1
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Gary Val Tenuta wrote:
kasteer wrote:

Thanks again!

I purchased kindle version of ASH. Looks great. I can't wait to read it!
Author of two books:
Landslide: Poor Management and How to Avoid it
Astral
My author's page: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Kasten/e/B00 ... 651&sr=8-1
Lon Dee
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I love writing, but I absolutely detest marketing. I had a small business years ago, and that's one of the reasons I got out of that—I couldn't stand marketing. But to be a successful author, you have to market yourself. It's not so tough if you've signed with a big publisher that will help do the marketing for you. But if you're an indie author, then you're in it alone. Most larger book review sites won't review indie-published works because there's just too many "Memoirs of My Big Fat Boring Life" out there. And if you've published ebooks and used a service like CreateSpace for the print book, then most bookstores won't let you do a signing because they're not making any money off of it.

I've seen a lot of authors lately doing school tours for MG/YA books, where you do a presentation in front of the students that is somehow education related, but put in a lot of plugs for your book at the same time. Those seem to work well, but you need a good marketing infrastructure in place before you start: website, passalong cards, bookmarks, posters, etc. And of course, you need to have good presentation and public speaking skills. I asked about how to do those and was told to contact school districts. They approve the book and your presentation, then let local schools know about it. They seem to be more geared toward established authors because many of the kids have already read their books and get excited about the presentation. I don't know how well this will work with new authors.
Lon Dee
Reader and Writer
http://lon-dee.com

You are what you read
viajesen1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

To promote an upcoming book to bookstores, libraries, or readers, print an excerpt from your book in pamphlet or booklet form and mail it out to your major customers (or potential customers).

To promote Gloria Steinem's new book, Revolution from Within, Little, Brown reprinted Bibliotherapy, a chapter that describes the books the author found helpful in writing her book and living her life. They sent 50,000 copies of this pamphlet to 1,000 of their major bookstore accounts who, in turn, passed them out to customers.

Return to “Author's Lounge”