• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Any Anime Fans?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Metaphorm

Any Anime Fans?

Unread post

If there are any Anime fans in this community I absolutely have to recommend three great series:The Ghost in the ShellFull Metal AlchemistSamurai ChamplooFor those of you who don't know much about anime, or who like myself only dabble in the genre, it would be unfair for me to make these recommendations without also providing you with the benefit an essential introduction, something which I did not have.Anime's, generally speaking, are fantasy stories involving characters that live in worlds and possess abilities that are for lack of a better word, magical. This should not be a deterrent as each of the above titles unspeakably intelligent with respect to very real, pertinent and engaging human dilemmas. You will have to watch each season at least twice before you even begin to understand the depth of the stories. Since the stories are so complex, you might find yourself both bored and overwhelmed by the character development, but rest assured, none of it is superfluous and you will find yourself intoxicated by it all soon enough.Ghost in the Shell is a futuristic cyber-techno theory of intelligence and philosophical treatise. The Major is so hot I've actually cried. I love her. You will find many other characters appealing and the corporate-economic predictions in conjunction with cyber-technology are, I believe, the future.Full Metal Alchemist describes a world of alchemy--a strange hybrid between magic and science. The main character Ed, and his brother Al, are two alchemic prodigies in search of the Philosopher's Stone. I will not try to explain what exactly is the nature of such a stone, as much of the story is dedicated to revealing its nature piece by piece. I will say that I have found the mythology which develops in this story to be so replete with verdant metaphors and moral commentary that you almost believe it could be real.Samurai Champloo is a hip-hop friendship/love story about a young girl named Fu, and two rogue Samurai. I have witnessed a lot of impressive swordplay but I have never ever seen anything like what I saw in this series. There is perhaps more character development here than in the other titles, but it all pays off. Hands down the best fight scenes I have ever seen, not just because they are visually spectacular and physically believable but because they are pure expressions of the characters themselves as they are revealed throughout the season. It is a dramatic depiction of why we call it martial art. Watch out for the subliminals though. They'll get you. Are a Jean or are you a Mugin?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Any Anime Fans?

Unread post

I saw Ghost in the Shell. Interesting...but I really cannot stand anime. I just do not get it at all. I prefer traditional cartooning...I do not like the newer comics either.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Not going to try to convert you -- I'm something of a fair-weather fan myself -- but what is it about anime that you can't stand, Mr. P?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

The way it looks on the screen. The features of the characters, the motion (characters in one position while the background moves). And the stories are somewhat lame...mostly. Some are ok.When I look at comic books nowadays...I just hate seeing the old characters in the newer, anime based style. Most look just silly to me.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Stand Alone Complex 0

Unread post

I love Anime, i'm an anime fan. I'm not all hardcore or anything. Hello look at my s/n...LOL I love Ghost in the Shell, also like the New Ghost in the shell SAC series they are pretty good. I have not watched the new Ghost in the shell movie cause they took out Motoko Kusenagi and so to me there is no point in seeing the movie she was a vital character. Samuria Champloo eehhh i really dont like, I like certain genre of Anime. Some good anime are Battle Angel, the Manga books are good too, Ninja Scroll, Neon Genesis Evangalion, Wings of Hommaniese, Gologo 13 the Professional the first one.
pctacitus

Unread post

Thank you cartoon network. "...the great events in life come from the books, rather than the people, one comes across." - Robert D. Kaplan, Mediterranean Winter: the Pleasures of History and Landscape in Tunisia, Sicily, Dalmatia, and Greece
lindsayhickman

Unread post

I'm a huge anime fan, but my favorites tend not to be of the action/scifi sort. My absolute favorite is Genshiken, which is about a manga club at a university. I also love Azumanga Daioh, which is about high school girls and cats and such - kind of like a cute, animated Seinfeld, with kitties. My favorite of the action/scifi sort is Cowboy Bebop, which I think is shown on Cartoon Network every now and then. I'm actually more of a manga fan, and the vast majority of anime is based on manga. I tend to read the book first, then watch the anime. The books are usually better.

Return to “Everything Else”