Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time. 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finds books under furniture

Silver Contributor

Post Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time.
...to quote everyone's favorite, most lovable robot, Bender, from Futurama.

While Futurama will make a well awaited comeback this summer, Heroes will not be returning to NBC for a 5th season, and won't even have time to wrap up its complicated, ever twisting storyline.

From The Hollywood Reporter:
livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/ ... eroes.html

And I was looking forward to watching the next discs in the 3rd season this weekend! Now it looks like that may be a pointless gesture, since it will all lead nowhere.

What a shame.

Even Law & Order couldn't make the cut this year. I hope those new shows are as good as NBC hopes they are, or they're in for some major ratings losses. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Leno-O'Brien debacle?

Fri May 14, 2010 8:15 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Kindle Fanatic

Post Re: Another classic science fiction show cancelled before its time.
Yeah, it definitely sucks. It's one of my favorite shows (although truth be told, I only watch it for Quinto now, which is the case for a lot of people now haha). NBC's definitely going downhill now. First Conan, then L&O, then Heroes... and I heard Carell is leaving the Office after next season, so that'll probably be next.

Shelfari!

Fri May 14, 2010 11:07 pm
Profile Email YIM

Silver Contributor

Such a waste. TV sucks. :lol:

Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Everything ends. That doesnt make the journey meaningless. Usually, the journey is far more reward than the ending.

Take the HBO show "Carnivale". It ended after only two seasons, and it looked like the action was really going to take off for season 3, but it ended due to high production costs.

A very good show that ended up not having an ending, but i would highly recommend it all the same.

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:29 am
Kindle Fanatic

There's a "Save Law and Order" page and a "Save Heroes" page on Facebook now. :lol: That was quick.

Shelfari!

Sat May 15, 2010 10:47 am
Profile Email YIM
Official Newbie!

Oh no! They won't even wrap up Heroes? That stinks! And not Law and Order! It was going for some sort of record for longest running drama! :(

Sat May 15, 2010 12:18 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

Yeah, them's the breaks.

My boyfriend convinced me to keep watching, and when I thought about it, I realized that a lot of the shows I love didn't have a chance to resolve their endings (Firefly, Dead Like Me, Harsh Realm, etc,), but I still love them just as much, so we've decided to continue watching what there is of Heroes and accept the ending for what it is or hope that a different network will eventually pick it up. :-P

After thinking it over before watching the next disc in the 3rd season of Heroes, I decided that you're absolutely right, Johnson, it's the journey that counts, not the ending, no matter how frustrated I get over loose ends. No story is ever truly 100% finished to any viewer/reader's satisfaction, and if it was, we would lose respect for it, because a good ending always leaves something to the imagination, anyway. Neat little packages are never as interesting as open ended questions, even if they drive you mad.

It's always nice to have someone around who challenges your ideas and is able to get you to see new levels of thinking and get past mental blocks you might not even have known were there. My boyfriend is awesome like that. I'm a lucky "goil." ;)

Sat May 15, 2010 2:08 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Tenured Professor

Is your boyfriend Pop-eye?

Have you tried that? Looking for answers?
Or have you been content to be terrified of a thing you know nothing about?

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Confidence being an expectation built on past experience, evidence and extrapolation to the future. Faith being an expectation held in defiance of past experience and evidence.

Sat May 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Silver Contributor

Glad you caught the reference.

Sat May 15, 2010 6:22 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Bronze Contributor 2

I really hated Heroes. I watched the entire first season waiting for it to be the show it could be: one with compelling characters and a clever story. I sometimes wonder if we're so starved for good TV that we're willing to accept substandard shows because contrasted to the generic crap on TV these days, anything with a speck of originality is amazing. And the concept for Heroes was very cool. I especially liked the "Save the cheerleader, save the world" mysteriousness. However, by the end of the first season I could practically speak the words the characters were going to say before they did. A mind-reader? No, it's just the show was so incredibly predictable.

I heard season two was very bad - whenever I complain about Heroes people nod sympathetically and agree that it got bad in second season, but wasn't first season great? No..... not really. It sure was almost great though! Many shows suffer from the writers trying to write characters smarter than themselves, and I think that was part of the trouble.

Maybe it's me! I think Fringe is pretty weak (though I still watch it) and I've heard a lot of people go on about how great it is (like, you have a special agent saving the world from technodestruction and she doesn't even have a partner? Yeah, sensible). I despise Stargate: Universe (my nickname for it is Stargate: Stereotype - not very clever but it conveys my thoughts on the matter).

I'm happy to let Heroes go if it makes room for another show that maybe will be great. But most likely it'll be replaced with Everybody Loves Raymond 2 or something equally generic. But I hope that people will learn from the mistakes of the original and build toward something even better.

Sun May 16, 2010 1:30 am
Profile Email ICQ YIM

Silver Contributor

theomanic wrote:
But I hope that people will learn from the mistakes of the original and build toward something even better.

As much as I'd like to share your optimistic attitude, I highly doubt this will happen, especially in the case of NBC. NBC hasn't shown great decision making skills lately, and unless they've had a dramatic change in staffing, I don't think that's likely to improve anytime soon. If even Law & Order is failing them, they must be pretty desperate. Everyone likes Law & Order, and even if you don't, once you watch five minutes of an episode you're almost magnetically compelled to watch the entire thing, just to see what happens, like some kind of courtroom car wreck. You just can't help yourself - you want to get up, but you can't, and you're under it's spell until the episode ends. God help you if there's a marathon on.

I think they should take a page from Futurama and actually make a show about Hypnotoad.

All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 am
Kindle Fanatic

Don't hate on Everybody Loves Raymond. That show > every other sitcom about a family. :lol:

They're still putting out the heroes comics online... if anybody here reads those. The only new non-reality/non-game show type of shows are Persons Unknown and Day One. There might be others, but I don't remember.

Heroes fans might like Day One. It sounds interesting to me, and one of the producers worked for Heroes. I'm kind of afraid it'll end up like Jericho though. But I'm always up for a (post) apocalyptic show though. :lol:

Shelfari!

Sun May 16, 2010 1:21 pm
Profile Email YIM
The Great Gabsby

[quote="bleachededen" If even Law & Order is failing them, they must be pretty desperate. Everyone likes Law & Order, and even if you don't, once you watch five minutes of an episode you're almost magnetically compelled to watch the entire thing, just to see what happens, like some kind of courtroom car wreck. You just can't help yourself - you want to get up, but you can't, and you're under it's spell until the episode ends. God help you if there's a marathon on.

][/quote]

:lol: I wish I had a dollar for every Saturday or Sunday afternoon I have wasted glued to the stupid TV watching these marathons. You are so right, Bleachededen, you get stuck there and can't turn away. I finally went back to crocheting, just so that when I am sitting there, I don't feel the afternoon was completely wasted.

Sun May 16, 2010 1:27 pm
Profile Email

Silver Contributor

:lol:

Sun May 16, 2010 3:27 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Bronze Contributor 2

I dunno, does Cougar Town count as a show about a family? Cuz that show is pretty great!

I've just started watching Caprica. It seems alright, but I'm not very interested. I've got a backlog of Dexter and a new season of True Blood coming up, so those will probably be the shows that I watch. And, of course, Bones... I love those kooky guys!

Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 am
Profile Email ICQ YIM
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next