• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

An aspiring poet and Southern Fiction writer

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

An aspiring poet and Southern Fiction writer

Unread post

Howdy folks. My name is James, and I am an aspiring writer.

Allow me to further introduce myself; I was born and raised in Virginia, the son fo a mechanic turned preacher. My whole family consists of throwbacks from the 30's and 50's, and therefore their influence gave me an old-fashioned sensibility regarding my literary education. I've sense developed an eclectic taste in literature, and am now hoping to make my mark in the literary tradition.

I write mostly poetry and short stories, my models being Ray Bradbury, Eudora Welty, WIlliam Faulkner and Charles Bukowski. I hope to one day publish my books and share my words with the world, while also chugging along with a bottle of Coke in my hand.

Well, I guess that's all I have to say right now. I hope to post more soon, and I would love to make new writer and reader friends on the site. Peace.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
Flann 5
Nutty for Books

Re: An aspiring poet and Southern Fiction writer

Unread post

Movie Nerd wrote:Allow me to further introduce myself; I was born and raised in Virginia, the son fo a mechanic turned preacher.
Hi Movie Nerd.
You said in a recent post on the" trouble believing in evolution thread" that your Dad got a degree in English Literature from William and Mary and also graduated from a Christian seminary.
So which is it? He left college with a degree in literature and then seminary and then became a mechanic? He couldn't get a job anywhere teaching English?
I expect you can now harmonise these stories but I for one won't be buying it.
Last edited by Flann 5 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: An aspiring poet and Southern Fiction writer

Unread post

Flann 5 wrote:
Movie Nerd wrote:Allow me to further introduce myself; I was born and raised in Virginia, the son fo a mechanic turned preacher.
Hi Movie Nerd.
You said in a recent post on the" trouble believing in evolution thread" that your Dad got a degree in English Literature from William and Mary and also graduated from a Christian seminary.
So which is it? He left college with a degree in literature and then seminary and then became a mechanic? He couldn't get a job anywhere teaching English?
I expect you can now harmonise these stories but I for one won't be buying it.
Really dude? I explained my dad's whole story and you're going to twist it around to say you don't believe me?

Ok, let me explain again: he was a mechanic for a long part of his life, and then he went back to school. His Bachelor's degree is in English, and his Master's degree is in theology. I never said anything about teaching English; that's just what his undergrad is in. Unless you're a lawyer or doctor or scientist, your Master's degree doesn't have to be an exact match to your Bachelor's major; in fact, the literary studies he took in at William & Mary have been helpful when creating Bible studies for church.

I said he was a mechanic first, and he still works on cars every so often on the side. He is a minister now. It wasn't that hard to follow what I said, and I am sick of you and Ant constantly picking on me on this forum when I made great steps to be nice to you both. You both keep insulting my intelligence and attacking my integrity, and I've had about enough of it. Seriously dude, back off.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.

Return to “Author's Lounge”