• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

AmyDetroit - Motor City Greetings

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
AmyDetroit

AmyDetroit - Motor City Greetings

Unread post

Hi, all. I'm not sure how frequent a poster I'll be, but I look forward to the discussion here.I'm 35, work as a technical writer, and am chipping away at a psychology B.S. in my "free time." I'm also a writer (completed National Novel Writing Month this year--www.nanowrimo.com ), with the stereotypical checkered past.I've always had a strong interest in science, but felt somewhat handicapped peer-wise by my non-academic background. The cosmos can bring me to a state that might be described as religious, and human emotions and relationships have always been a source of fascination to me. An agnostic dad and born-again-Christian mom (divorced, of course!) provided plenty of food for thought.I thank Chris for inviting me via the Intertel list.Talk to you soon,Amy Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/17/03 2:48:08 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Motor City Greetings

Unread post

AmyQuote:I've always had a strong interest in science, but felt somewhat handicapped peer-wise by my non-academic background. Join the crowd! Most of my science education has consisted of reading popular science books for pleasure.Hey, congratulations on the novel. One of our members (LanDroid?) posted a thread about that Novel writing site and it sounded like plenty of fun. Actually, it sounds like quite a bit of work too. An entire novel in one month is quite a feat. But the secret seems to be to start typing and not stop.Your background with parents of such different belief systems should make for some interesting conversations. Even if you don't find yourself totally immersed in our book selections, please feel free to participate at "The Round Table," where our members get into all sorts of discussions.Welcome to BookTalk Amy. I'm happy to have you as our newest member and I hope you enjoy your stay. Chris
rielmajr

Motor City Greetings

Unread post

Nice to see someone else take Chris' bait from the Intertel invitation.Your experience with religion at home is, I think, the kind that makes for a life-long quest. It has for me. Nowadays, when asked if I believe in God, I occasionally answer, "sometimes." If the very concept of God is like that proposed by Anselm, then the very notion begins to change as one tries to contemplate it. I now don't think it too helpful to reach a conclusion, preferring instead to continue my thinking on the subject.Your fascination with science is shared by many without any formal education in the sciences (and my degree in philosophy, with a focus on scientific method hardly stands me in better stead), but I have come to appreciate the greater rationality and scientific cast of mind that many non-scientists have than practising scientists: Some seek rational, natural answers to their questions even though they are fiction writers; while some scientists have lent their names to such non-scientific and religiously inspired oxymorons as "scientific creationism."Good luck in your studies. I have a hard time recalling my days as an undergraduate but do seem to recall something about the "free speech movement" and a presidential assassination.
Johnny Neuron
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

Hello Amy and welcome! I love psychology, do you have any leanings toward a particular school of thought? I'm a big fan of Albert Ellis and REBT, although I am fascinated by the psychodynamic theories as well. I'm from a rather hyper-religious family myself, so I know what that feels like. (Jehovah's Witnesses, not so different from born-agains in many of their beliefs) In a way I still consider myself a relgious person, that is I have a profound sense of wonder at the universe and the marvel of life. We can worship life every day if we choose. That's my philosophy Bradley
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk, Amy. I'm glad to see other women joining the board. I hope you're able to make it to some of the Thursday night chats.Cheryl
Kenny Meek

Unread post

Chris says:"Join the crowd! Most of my science education has consisted of reading popular science books for pleasure."Kenny asks:"Do those have centerfolds?"

Return to “Everything Else”