• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

American space flight is over. Will you let that stand?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

American space flight is over. Will you let that stand?

Unread post

This is a kickstarter project for a film investigating just what happened to our space program, and why it seems likely to die a slow death.

http://io9.com/5928681/neil-degrasse-ty ... -for-space

Is this what we want?

Do we want to be like the serfs of the dark ages who pointed at Roman aquaducts and said, "look at what they used to do"?
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: American space flight is over. Will you let that stand?

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:This is a kickstarter project for a film investigating just what happened to our space program, and why it seems likely to die a slow death.

http://io9.com/5928681/neil-degrasse-ty ... -for-space

Is this what we want?

Do we want to be like the serfs of the dark ages who pointed at Roman aquaducts and said, "look at what they used to do"?
I sometimes wonder if we would actually be able to land a man on the moon today. I'm not sure we could.

It is a travesty what's happened to the space program. I think it represents the worst of partisan politics. The space program is always a long-term goal, but our political system is short-sighted. And there you have it.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

When i was a kid i assumed we were going to the moon all the time. If you'd asked me how many people had been to the moon, i would have said close to a hundred. Why not? Once you've been there, why would you stop going?

Its sad to think that we havent been there in decades, and that it seems likely we, the US, won't likely be there again any time soon.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaks eloquently on the use of exploratory space travel, and i agree.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Is this what we want?
Yes!
I doubt many serfs pointed at Roman aquaducts and said "look at what they used to do." But maybe they did. The larger point, that of the rich and the military setting up shop on... wherever it is you want to fly off to... while here on Earth people are living in a manner resembling those of your dark age serfs (except with perhaps not so much available time to sightsee) makes for a fitting image of this age. Since you asked I'll mention that I'm against it.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Kevin wrote:
johnson1010 wrote:Is this what we want?
Yes!
I doubt many serfs pointed at Roman aquaducts and said "look at what they used to do." But maybe they did. The larger point, that of the rich and the military setting up shop on... wherever it is you want to fly off to... while here on Earth people are living in a manner resembling those of your dark age serfs (except with perhaps not so much available time to sightsee) makes for a fitting image of this age. Since you asked I'll mention that I'm against it.
Like most who oppose the space program, you see the money spent as 'wasted' as if we stuffed the nose cones of rockets with hundred dollar bills and shot them into space. All the money spent on space travel is spent here on Earth, and generates real jobs, not like welfare. Which, by the way, exceeds the space budged by about 100 times.

No, I will not stand idly by while we withdraw and turn ourselves inward.

Remember, a turtle makes no progress until he sticks his neck out.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Durzo blint
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

The future of space flight belongs to the private companies. I predict that In 20 years we will travell to mars using a Craft not created using public funds
Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches to your body
George Carlin
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Like most who oppose the space program, you see the money spent as 'wasted' as if we stuffed the nose cones of rockets with hundred dollar bills and shot them into space.
Well! Actually I see it as being something worse than wasted .. put to a decidedly nefarious purpose. I was recently watching 2001: A Space Odyssey and one of the special features was a talk given by Arthur C Clarke promoting the film (I can't recall the book being mentioned) and he had such hopes for the space program though he did claearly see the potential for malaise to set in... I wonder how he still feels about it, if he's still so enthusiastic about space flight or if he sees significant problems associated with it that that he didn't back then. Anyway, he's someone I admire to some degree... but that's besides the point. The point being that he was very naive about vacuums (which is odd!) and how power fills them.
All the money spent on space travel is spent here on Earth, and generates real jobs, not like welfare.
Actually all money spent on welfare goes to create and maintain jobs - either it's that or these welfare recipiants are hoarding their money rather than spending it at the grocery store or wherever... this is assuming you're talking about welfare to individuals exclusively and not including that given to corporations. haha no, as usual the probem with society lies with those who have the power to shape it not the ones who do not have that power.
which, by the way, exceeds the space budged by about 100 times.
Wow! I did not realize this! And since I look unfavorably on space flight and favorably on welfare you can probably imagine how this makes me feel... do you happen to have those numbers close at hand? I'd love to look at them!
No, I will not stand idly by while we withdraw and turn ourselves inward.

Remember, a turtle makes no progress until he sticks his neck out.
OK. I think Durzo has it right, the (short-term, I'll add) future belongs to private industry.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TX3pPOu ... re=related

:lol:

as one guy said in the op clip "we dont have an ambitious space program because we dont have the money..."

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

priorities?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Kevin: I do not have the figures at hand, but I will do my best to find them; as they are all part of the federal budget they should be available. :|

As Arthur C. Clarke died in 2008, I doubt he is saying much these days. :(

I fully support a private space program, but some government involvment is inevitable. I know it is a crude analogy, but would you want a private armed forces? :twisted:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Kevin: I do not have the figures at hand, but I will do my best to find them; as they are all part of the federal budget they should be available. :|
It's OK. I'lll assume you're right.
As Arthur C. Clarke died in 2008, I doubt he is saying much these days. :(
I didn't know this (obviously I guess)... it reminds me of a time when I was watching one of the huge charity concerts and out comes George Michael on stage to join Paul McCartney - -I was sure George Michael had died, and I had to Google that too.
I fully support a private space program, but some government involvment is inevitable.
I'm entirely against it (both of them) but can see that it's going to happen. There is an Outer Space Treaty, signed by the USA, UK, and the then Soviet Union among others which says that it's the "common heritage of mankind" and therefore decidedly not private domain. It also prohibits its use for testing weapons of any kind, conducting military maneuvers, or establishing military bases, installations, and fortifications. It will be ignored and then ripped to shreds but does provide an interesing peek into a former viewpoint.
I know it is a crude analogy, but would you want a private armed forces? :twisted:
No, I wouldn't but we have this already with Blackwater et al... I can't see any particular reason to exclude the military from privatization.

Return to “Science & Technology”