• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Al Queda Versus the Soviet Empire

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Al Queda Versus the Soviet Empire

Unread post

In other threads, there are discussions about what standards and tactics are appropriate for fighting Al Queda and Iraqi insurgents.It seems to me that many of the arguments are based on an assumption that Al Queda pose some sort of new and greater threat than traditional enemies and that because of this certain 'tactics' are necessary.When I look at it, I see Al Queda as a pretty pathetic threat when compared to the Nazis, the Soviets or even modern China. They are badly organised, poorly armed and ideologically divided. So, what I want to know is, do you kids see Al Queda as a greater threat than Soviet Russia and if so why? Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
ADO15

Re: Al Queda Versus the Soviet Empire

Unread post

I never saw the Soviet Union as a threat. Didn't want to live there, but given their clear lack of intention to attack, they were never much of a risk. Nutters like Reagan, on the other hand.... _________________________________________________________Il Sotto Seme La Neva
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I do see the newer form of terrorist's tactics as a greater threat. They do not have the military might to do large scale destruction... yet; they do however have the cunning and patience to attack us where we are weakest, our civilian populace. Terrorists answer to no one and hence there are no checks and balances for use of terrible weapons or civil behavior.Terrorists attack from within; they infiltrate free countries and kill our families. They will use whatever methods they have access to from pipe bombs to dirty nukes the higher the civilian body count the better. Our cold war enemies were not this ruthless, they did infiltrate our country from time to time but their targets were military secrets not the destruction of our civilian populace.(at least not directly) Also because everyone knew the inevitable outcome of a nuclear exchange, there was a real deterrent for use of such weaponry. The terrorists do not have any such restrictions; they know if they set off a dirty nuke in Washington DC, that because they do not represent a specific country we cannot legally retaliate in kind. We might anyway, but that would clearly not be legal, unless we could show that a certain country supplied the nuke or some other material support.To sum up, terrorists are motivated to do us harm, they have no restrictions on their behavior, they attack from within, they represent no specific country or regime and they are willing to give their lives to kill as many of us as possible. This makes them a formidable and direct threat, not just a background villain. Later
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

The Soviets had thousands upon thousands of nuclear weapons aimed right at us. Al Qaeda doesn't even compare to that, if we're to look at the measure of harm that can be done to us by the two.I think the combination of 1) our dependency on oil 2) American political punditry 3) the cowardice of our elected officials 4) and our own religious fanaticism constitutes a greater threat to American lives than the threat posed by al Qaeda.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[GDR: The Soviets had thousands upon thousands of nuclear weapons aimed right at us. Al Qaeda doesn't even compare to that, if we're to look at the measure of harm that can be done to us by the two.]This is true, but with the Soviet Union the ability to do us harm and the justification to do us harm were for the most part widely separated, in addition they knew that the destruction would be equally horrifying for them.The capacity to harm us and the will to do so are very different.With Al Qaeda the justification is there, they only seek the ability, they have already shown us that they can and will kill us when we give them the chance, so if they can get their hands on something nasty we could be hit again possibly much worse. Simply put The Soviets were a possible threat, with the very real ability to harm us. If we forced them they would have attacked. Al Qaeda is a proven threat they lack the capacity to do wide spread damage, but they are just waiting for the opening to do us great harm.Can they render our country crippled with a single attack, you bet they could. With our new technology dependant so much on electric power, computers being used for information transfer, our economy and finances moving through these same sources, our infrastructure is very vulnerable. Just look at the problems caused by a simple power disruption in New York and the surrounding areas a couple of years ago, the effects of destroying a single city like New Orleans, a dirty nuke or bio weapon detonation in a civilized area would cause similar problems but with a much broader effect. How about an EMP attack centered on several key power installations around the country, this would be crippling to our country in many ways. [GDR: I think the combination of 1) our dependency on oil 2) American political punditry 3) the cowardice of our elected officials 4) and our own religious fanaticism constitutes a greater threat to American lives than the threat posed by al Qaeda.]I don't disagree with any particular point made here, but it does not say anything about the capability of Al Qaeda's ability to attack and harm us. Later
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

Frank: With Al Qaeda the justification is there,...In your view, what is that justification?I don't disagree with any particular point made here, but it does not say anything about the capability of Al Qaeda's ability to attack and harm us.No. No, it doesn't. But it does say that Americans can get just as many Americans killed as al Qaeda.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[GDR: In your view, what is that justification?]Well lest see, according to Al Qaeda, because we are not good Muslims, the Crusades, their failure to further their agenda, the west's perceived superiority, our presence on Muslim soil, bad cartoons, the color of grass, parking tickets, and if these don't fit the bill they will find others.[GDR: But it does say that Americans can get just as many Americans killed as al Qaeda.]Of course, humans in general and Americans in particular are masters of self destruction.Later
GOD defiles Reason

Unread post

[GDR: In your view, what is that justification?]Frank: Well lest see, according to Al Qaeda, because we are not good Muslims, the Crusades, their failure to further their agenda, the west's perceived superiority, our presence on Muslim soil, bad cartoons, the color of grass, parking tickets, and if these don't fit the bill they will find others.Really? Where did you get that information?
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[GDR: Really? Where did you get that information?]Well aside from the bad cartoons which we are all seeing the results of right now. And the silly remarks about the grass and parking tickets, I found the others on a web site that addressed the Muslim hate machine; much was taken directly from the statements made by such people, and psychoanalysis of their need for hatred to maintain control. It talked about their reasoning for attacks being conjured up just to have a purpose to continue the line of hatred. I will see if I can dig it up for you. Later
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

[GDR: Where did you get that information?]Check out nobeliefs.com for starters, at the bottom of the home page look for the problems with Islam link, I think you will find it interesting. Later

Return to “Current Events & History”