• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

ACLU vs. Boy Scouts

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
fpla83

ACLU vs. Boy Scouts

Unread post

www.military.com/NewsCont...04,00.htmlThis is the best article on the subject I could find. Will the ACLU leave the boy scouts alone already? We don't live in PC world, that's the fact. It will never become a PC world, if it ever does then I applaud Aldous Huxley for his foresight as we will surely be living in a Brave New World. The Boy Scouts is a private organization, it is their choice as to which values they choose to uphold. The fact is the Scouts do a great amount of good for communities and I find it disgusting and offensive that the ACLU is determined to ruin the organization. There is nothing illegal or wrong with the current relationship between the military and the scouts. You may not agree with the beliefs of the Boy Scouts however it is inconsequential, this is about basic rights provided to Americans under the constitution. They scouts are violating none.
jjacobs43

ACLU vs. Boy Scouts

Unread post

I have two points to your argument.1: Why should my tax dollars go to support an organization like that?and 2: Would you be making the same arguments if they didn't allow black people into their organization?
fpla83

Re: ACLU vs. Boy Scouts

Unread post

Your tax dollars do not support the boy scouts. Yes, I would make the same argument if they exluded blacks. They already exclude gays and there has been a Supreme Court ruling in favor of such a discriminatory practices as it is a private organization.
jjacobs43

Re: ACLU vs. Boy Scouts

Unread post

Quote:Your tax dollars do not support the boy scouts.I know the government doesn't totally fund the boy scouts but I was just referring to the article. Quote:He said the Pentagon spends $2 million every year to prepare the Virginia base for the jamboree, held once every four years. He said the Defense Department also makes annual allocations of $100,000 to support Boy Scout units on military bases overseas and $100,000 to improve Boy Scout properties, such as summer camps. I would prefer if none of my money went to support an organization that wouldn't allow an Atheist such as myself to belong to it.Quote:Yes, I would make the same argument if they exluded blacks. They already exclude gays and there has been a Supreme Court ruling in favor of such a discriminatory practices as it is a private organization. Can private organizations exclude blacks too? I think this opens up a whole can of worms that was discussed briefly in some other thread. What rights does a business or private organization have to deny service to people? I think that this sets a bad precedent and is a slippery slope to right back where we started from when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. And as far as I'm concerned, the same rules should apply to homosexuals and Atheists. I just can't agree with the Supreme court on that ruling. With my sincerest apologies to all of the kids involved, I just have to side the ACLU on this. I would hope that some more tolerant private organization could step up and replace the good that comes out of the boy scouts.
Tessa3

Kudos to the ACLU

Unread post

I am grateful to the ACLU for their continued fight to end discrimination, even when their actions are in disfavor of the majority that would discriminate. The function of the courts is not to protect the majority opinions but to protect the rights of the minorities.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Re: Kudos to the ACLU

Unread post

Minorities, Majorities, its all bullshit.You won't have equality until you stop grouping people and start treating people as equal individuals. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
jjacobs43

Re: Kudos to the ACLU

Unread post

Quote:Minorities, Majorities, its all bullshit.You won't have equality until you stop grouping people and start treating people as equal individuals. Well, I believe that is exactly what the ACLU is trying to accomplish!Personally, I think it's bullshit that the ACLU is made out to be the bad guy all of the time. They have absolutely no intention other than trying to make sure that EVERYBODY has equal rights. The Boy Scouts are the ones labeling people here.
Eric Hagelin

Unread post

So I wonder if they ACLU will ever come to the rescue of those people who label others, when they ultimately become a minority.There are distinctions between people... distinctions between gender, skin color, sexuality, political persuasion, religious adherence, distinctions between their relative wealth or poverty, etc.Making these distinctions is not a crime or injustice. The crimes and injustices do not originate in the distinction, and the solution to these problems is not to do away with distinctions and labels. Like-minded people tend to hang out together. People who have common ground (whether it is skin color, sexual preference, hobbies, religious views) will get together and form groups. This forum is a perfect example. But doesn't this forum itself discriminate (and remove from participation) religious people who "proselytize"?Uh-oh, he's a "proselytizer". Ban him. Or don't you believe the proselytizer has that "right" - and that the "freethinker" should obviously be free enough, and mature enough, to make up his or her own mind? Shouldn't EVERYBODY have equal rights, jjacobs43? Or is this public domain internet forum somehow more above, or elite?(I could be jumping to conclusions. I thought I read somewhere about a guy getting banned for "proselytizing" or at least threatened with banning.) The mods would know.The world is full of double-standards. No doubt many of you would get banned from various Christian forums for calling into question their beliefs.An ordered society has to respect all, including reasonable traditions which exclude others.The ACLU frequently goes overboard. "...I beg of You to take away my freedom to displease You..." ~ St. Therese of Lisieux ~
jjacobs43

Re: ACLU

Unread post

Quote:So I wonder if they ACLU will ever come to the rescue of those people who label others, when they ultimately become a minority.Liberties are liberties whether they are in the minority or the majority. The ACLU will be there to defend whoever. It's not a some kind of assault against Christianity or some left wing attack group as many appear to believe. They are just standing up for EVERYBODY's liberties. Quote:There are distinctions between people... distinctions between gender, skin color, sexuality, political persuasion, religious adherence, distinctions between their relative wealth or poverty, etc.Making these distinctions is not a crime or injustice. The crimes and injustices do not originate in the distinction, and the solution to these problems is not to do away with distinctions and labels. Like-minded people tend to hang out together. People who have common ground (whether it is skin color, sexual preference, hobbies, religious views) will get together and form groups. This forum is a perfect example. Making these distinctions IS a crime in some situations. You can't make the distinction between black and white when deciding who to serve at a restaurant. The fact that like-minded people tend to hang out together is irrelevant. As for this particular beef with the Boy Scouts. They have opened themselves up to it by taking advantage of tax payers money. If they want to use tax payer money, then they need to abide by the separation of church and state. Otherwise, they should get their own private financing for their activities. Quote:But doesn't this forum itself discriminate (and remove from participation) religious people who "proselytize"?Uh-oh, he's a "proselytizer". Ban him. Or don't you believe the proselytizer has that "right" - and that the "freethinker" should obviously be free enough, and mature enough, to make up his or her own mind? Shouldn't EVERYBODY have equal rights, %%WORD240%C? Or is this public domain internet forum somehow more above, or elite?(I could be jumping to conclusions. I thought I read somewhere about a guy getting banned for "proselytizing" or at least threatened with banning.) The mods would know.I haven't been reading this forum for too long but I don't get the impression that anybody would be banned as long as they conducted themselves in a civil manner.Quote:The world is full of double-standards. No doubt many of you would get banned from various Christian forums for calling into question their beliefs.An ordered society has to respect all, including reasonable traditions which exclude others.The ACLU frequently goes overboard. Well, the key word of your argument there is "reasonable". What's reasonable? I'm sure the ACLU can go overboard but I'm guessing we have very different thresholds of what we consider 'overboard'. I'm not saying that there are never occassions when people will need to be excluded from certain things. But there needs to be a 'just' and 'practical' reason for doing so. While I appreciate the boy scouts right to operate as a private organization, I think they represent something that is very wrong with our society. So they certainly aren't going to get any sympathy from me when the ACLU forces them to adhere to the separation of church and state.
Eric Hagelin

Unread post

jjacobs43 types: "While I appreciate the boy scouts right to operate as a private organization, I think they represent something that is very wrong with our society."Really? They represent something that is "very wrong with our society"?? What is it that you find so offensive about the Boy Scouts?www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=mvThe ACLU claims the Boy Scouts "practice intolerance" (in reference to homosexuals).Well, good for the Boy Scouts. Since their inception, they've stood up for traditional morals and values. More power to 'em, I say.Yeah, these 10-year-olds are going to destroy everyone's civil liberties and bring about a new, dark age of intolerance and hate. Give me a break, please. The ACLU is on a witch-hunt. They always act with the impetus of 'eradication of Christianity from culture'.The laws which enable the ACLU need to be repealed at the Congressional level. I think the ACLU represents "something very wrong with our society" - not the Boy Scouts.If you don't approve of the Boy Scouts, don't participate. But leave them alone. They're not doing anything detrimental, they're a beneficial outfit, for crying out loud.The only boy's group the liberal-left supports is NAMBLA. Go figure.www.e-z.net/wtv/__bw-fed_...ip_Feb.htmw ... anscriptIf you read that last link, be advised that NAMBLA was meeting in a public library. They can meet there, but the Boy Scouts can't... thanks to the ACLU. I ask you: Is this not backward? Is this not an outrage? If you even have to hesitate to make an answer, you have no sense of decency whatsoever."No significant segment of our society and no institution within it can exist in a vacuum or in total or absolute isolation from all the other parts, much less from government. Nor does the Constitution require complete separation of church and state; it affirmatively mandates accommodation, not merely tolerance, of all religions, and forbids hostility toward any." (Chief Justice Warren Burger. Lemon v. Kurtzman.)The ACLU has a loooooooong history of hostility toward Christianity.Finally:clerk.house.gov/cgi-bin/l....pl?100853 "...I beg of You to take away my freedom to displease You..." ~ St. Therese of Lisieux ~

Return to “Current Events & History”