• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

A Wonderful Cause: Freethought Books to Prisoners

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
frikativ54

A Wonderful Cause: Freethought Books to Prisoners

Unread post

My name is Leslie A. Zukor, and I am the Founder of the Reed College Freethinkers, a secular student group based in Portland, Oregon. To counter the religious indoctrination that poses as "aid" to prisoners, the Freethinkers are conducting a Books to Prisoners.However, since we are a new club, we are hurting for funds. Thus, in order to make this drive a reality, we need your support. Could you send freethought-related titles (preferably paperbacks) and/or finanial contributions towards buying books?Here is our address and contact information:Leslie A. ZukorReed College Freethinkers, Box 11703203 SE Woodstock Blvd.Portland, OR 97202If you would like more information or want to speak with me, feel free to contact [email protected] for your consideration,Leslie Edited by: misterpessimistic  at: 10/19/05 4:48 pm
frikativ54

Re: A Wonderful Cause: Freethought Books to Prisoners

Unread post

Sorry I spelled "freethought" incorrectly. And a couple of lines later, it should read Books to Prisoners DRIVE.It's still a worthy cause, even if I can't write.Leslie
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'll leave this one post on the boards, but not the other 8. You would do yourself a service by posting a link to a web site and include a phone number. This could easily be a scam...not saying it is.
frikativ54

Unread post

Hi,Here is our interactive livejournal, which is the closest thing we have to a website: www.livejournal.com/commu...ethinkers/Also, my phone number is (206)-909-3188.Here is a link to my other email at the Reed College official website:administration.reed.edu/s...ail&id=126We are definitely not a scam; my goal is to help people, not to do any harm.Thanks and I would hope you'd consider contributing.--Leslie
Keith and Company

Re: A Wonderful Cause: Freethoght Books to Prisoners

Unread post

Can't say i see a lot of future in this cause.I'd love for prisoners to open their eyes to the possibilities, but there are just too many christains in the clink.Not because christainity is evil, but because the parole boards tend to look well on church attendance.I'd worry that rumors of atheism would hurt a guy's perception of his chance of early out, or even some prejudicial treatment at the hands of any gawd-fearing guards. Keith's Place Edited by: Keith and Company at: 10/18/05 1:14 am
Keith and Company

Unread post

Frikativ:Anything you wish to add? Keith's Place
frikativ54

Unread post

Yeah, that's total discrimination. They just can't be doing it.And furthermore, I think the benefits of possibly impacting a prisoner's entire life would greatly outweigh the risks.What's your evidence that the books would impact the inmates being able to get out? Is it because they are secular or just because they tend to be more progressive--or both?Leslie
Keith and Company

Unread post

Quote:Yeah, that's total discrimination. They just can't be doing it.Can't, but are. Not saying it's a good thing, but a fact of life. Christains are all et up with the idea of redemption and cleansing of sins...as long as you do it by their playbook. Telling them you've found morality by escaping religious dogma is an uphill battle against their bias. Not a winning hand for someone asking them to sign off on his having 'learned his lesson' for past crimes.Quote:And furthermore, I think the benefits of possibly impacting a prisoner's entire life would greatly outweigh the risks.I did say it was a good goal (didn't i? These days, my memory is as bad as...as...futz.) But if just one prisoner declares he's an atheist because of a freethought book, and is denied parole (for any reason), the others will conclude that it's better to play along with the established ritual. Seek redemption, be sincere, quote from the Good Book the way they expect, walk away clean.Quote:What's your evidence Please reread my posts and identify, for me, if you could, the part where i indicated it was an established fact? Didn't i say 'worry' or 'i fear' or something like that?I draw the conclusion from 30 years of dealing with the entrenched prejudices of various bureacracies (sp?). I've seen an admitted drug user get a security clearance for Top Secret SIOP faster than the pagan or the atheist that reported aboard the same day and answered honestly. Next command, i just told the bastards i had 'no preference' for religion. I've spoken with uncountable christains that say they would help, commute the sentence of, or even flat out pardon a Real Christain
Keith and Company

Unread post

Oh, and the invitation "to add" something was for the thread i started at the other end of the link provided. If you'd like to state your case there, there are other freethinkers. And some christains. Or Here. Keith's Place Edited by: Keith and Company at: 10/19/05 4:12 pm
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: A Wonderful Cause: Freethoght Books to Prisoners

Unread post

Leslie, yours is an interesting endeavor. I would be interested in learning about how successful your book drive is. Since you are interested in freethought and have been posting here, you may want to introduce yourself in the members thread. I hope to see you in other threads too! BTW, you wrote, "Sorry I spelled "freethought" incorrectly". If you hit the "edit" button you can go to the subject line and change "Freethoght" to "Freethought".

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”