• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 742 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

A voice for reason

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

A voice for reason

Unread post

Carl Sagan was good at explaining scientific subjects in a way that evoked that feeling of awe that i get when i look at the stars. The same feeling, i'm sure, that a religious person gets when they think about the afterlife. This ability to appeal to a feeling of spirituality seems inclusive, somehow. It seems to show a path to togetherness and belonging that atheism is criticized for lacking.

We need more Carl Sagans.

If you enjoy the videos below, i also recommend "The Cosmos", from which some of this content has originated.

Consider again, the pale blue dot. A followup.

http://www.wimp.com/consideragain/

Nova, on PBS is somewhat of a modern descendant, featuring Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Michio Kaku.
Last edited by johnson1010 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Emperorbjt
The Great Gabsby

Re: A voice for reason

Unread post

I wholeheartedly agree. I have read every mainstream book that Sagan wrote and have watched the Cosmos several times. His ideas and presentation did very much lead one to a sense of awe at the wonders of nature and the universe.

I would also add that many of his writings contained insightful philosophies regarding that nature of science, reason, faith , etc. Fans of Richard Dawkins's 'The God Delusion" might want to give Sagan's "The Demon - Haunted World" a try. He explores similar issues and reaches similar conclusions, but what in my opinion is a more eloquent argument.
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Emperorbjt wrote: I would also add that many of his writings contained insightful philosophies regarding that nature of science, reason, faith , etc. Fans of Richard Dawkins's 'The God Delusion" might want to give Sagan's "The Demon - Haunted World" a try. He explores similar issues and reaches similar conclusions, but what in my opinion is a more eloquent argument.
I second that opinion. Sagan gets to the same place without all the gnashing of teeth.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I have in the past as well Robert. I used to sit around with a notepad when I was high. Most ideas are wacky, but some are gems. They have to be edited when sober though. I haven't done that in over a decade, as a disclaimer.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Never done any drugs at all, personally, but i don't demonize weed the way we are told we should.

Marijuana is a lot less dangerous than alcohol.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaks on this issue i addressed earlier in the thread. That feeling of wonder i get thinking about the universe may just share gray matter with the believer who feels exalted when contemplating god.

There is a feeling of awe that is usually called spirituality that a good understanding of our place in the universe can illicit. A feeling that has bound people together under many banners throughout history.

Science can do that too, if we can reach people.

http://www.wimp.com/bestsermon/
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

"I stepped out of a supernova. And so did you."

http://www.wimp.com/comprehenduniverse/
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/unofficialnasa/

Carl Sagan, slinging the verbage.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Carl Sagan,

Life looks for life.

http://www.wimp.com/lifelooks/
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”