• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 736 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

A voice for reason

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: A voice for reason

Unread post

Sagan speaks about the benefits of space travel.

http://www.wimp.com/goingspace/
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Sagan speaks about the benefits of space travel.

http://www.wimp.com/goingspace/
Thanks Johnson, nice video. America has such a Star Trek myth, and cancelling the shuttle program creates a sort of loss of meaning and purpose for a people who have been expanding into new frontiers since Plymouth Rock. My view is that the real next frontier is the ocean, as a way to fix our planet before colonizing space.

Space: the final frontier

Meaning

The first line of the opening voiceover in Star Trek

Origin

This introductory text was spoken at the beginning of many Star Trek television episodes and films:

Space: The final frontier
These are the voyages of the Starship, Enterprise
Its 5 year mission
To explore strange new worlds
To seek out new life and new civilizations
To boldly go where no man has gone before
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Neil DeGrasse Tyson talks about our interconnected universe.

http://vimeo.com/30216052
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Richard Feynman talking about the world.

This guy was good. I gotta get more richard reynman in my life.

-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

about our boy Isaac Newton.

http://www.wimp.com/isaacnewton/
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

here's a long interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson from Stephen Colbert.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/ ... ey-academy
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Carl Sagan:
The immense distance to the stars in the galaxies means that we see everything in space, in the past.

Some as they were before the earth came to be.

Telescopes are time machines.

Long ago, when an early galaxy began to pour light into the surrounding darkness, no witness could have known that billions of years later some remote clumps of rock and metal, ice and organic molecules would fall together to make a place called earth.

Or that life would arise. And that thinking beings would evolve who would one day capture a little of that galactic light and try to puzzle out what had sent it on it's way.

And after the earth dies, some five billion years from now... after it is burned to a crisp, or even swallowed by the sun, there will be other worlds. And other stars, and galaxies coming into being.

And they will know nothing of a place once called earth.
-Guillermo Del Torro

johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

Madscribbler
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Two polar opposites:

Galileo stood outside the court and said, "And still it moves,..." after being forced to capitulate.

Pat Robertson sat on tv and said that one can, "calm the storm," with prayer. He was referring to the recent outbreak of tornadoes that, according to him, were the result of not enough people praying.

People believe what they want to believe, I guess.

When some evangelist heals Stephen Hawking, I suppose I'll have to rethink things a bit. Until then, I'm firmly on the side of the critically thinking skeptic. I see no reason to spend time and money chasing an ever receding horizon.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”