• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

a little help

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

a little help

Unread post

I seem unable to conect to the board's chatroom. My connection keeps timing out. The problem is on my end, but the thing is I can't seem to figure out how to fix this prob. I'm behind a firewall on a network where every node is subject to UAC, if that means anything to you tech types. And if you can't help, post a joke.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: a little help

Unread post

There once was a man from Nantucket... "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
amd2003

Between the Two

Unread post

: And if you can't help, post a joke. OK, here is one from Peter de Vries:A man says to his girlfriend, "Honey, your left leg is my favorite part in your whole body. Though there are times when I think that it is your right leg. Probably, the truth lies between the two."amd Edited by: amd2003 at: 10/8/04 7:07 am
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Between the Two

Unread post

HA HAHAA! The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Can you disable your firewall? Is it a personal firewall or work/school system?Sometimes firewalls have setting for restricting java ******s. Look in this aspect.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

amdI'm going to use that joke today! Thanks.Chris "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandella
amd2003

The DeVries Joke

Unread post

That joke is a proven winner as is this one, where you go to a colleague and ask"Why wasn't I born rich instead of handsome?":-)amd
amd2003

Re: The DeVries Joke

Unread post

I recalled the following while sitting through a boring lecture on Emerson at the Unitarian Fellowship:Peter de Vries was an atheist. He has written movingly about his child's death from an atheist perspective in The Blood of the Lamb. He asks, "If there is a god, how can one explain the blood of the lamb and the slaughter of the innocent?"amd Edited by: amd2003 at: 10/10/04 11:55 am
Niall001
Stupendously Brilliant

Unread post

Good jokes.Mr P. it's kind of strange some java works, others don't. The booktalk chat used to work for me....Ah I don't know. I spent ages trying to get it fixed for the bloom talk. But I think I'm just going to have to stick to the transcript.Still, I trust that the rest of you guys are capable of asking the necessary questions. Let us agree, there is no one single reality. Not upon this stage, not in this world, all is in the mind... imagination is the only truth. Because it cannot be contradicted except by other imaginations - Richard MathesonThere are no conclusive indications by which waking life can be distinguished from sleep - Rene Descartes
amd2003

Unread post

Niall,Over the years I have had problems with Chat several times. I had to reinstall the Java Virtual Machine. I used to be able to download from Microsoft. However, after the settlement with Sun, this was not possible. (I may have the two company's names backwards.) In the download site, there is a test you can do to determine if your machine is Java capable or not.amd

Return to “Everything Else”