• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

A little about me...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Federika22

A little about me...

Unread post

Hi all!I found this site today when I was browsing on craigslist. It looks wonderful! I have trouble meeting people who ask real questions and desire real answers. It seems to me that most people do not care and don't want to be bothered. Why is this?! It shocks me how complacent humans can be. In terms of religion, as an agnostic I've always been fairly openminded and tolerant about people's belief systems, but recently I learned the error of my ways. My most recent reads have been The End of Faith and Constantine's Sword. I don't have a lot of friends because I don't ever meet any interesting free thinkers! I shy away from people who have a completely different worldview than I do, such as the young women from my mother's church whom she always pushes on me. However, I'm not lonely. I tend to enjoy time to myself and have a variety of interests including martial arts, reading (of course), art, writing, and learning as much as I can! I don't have as much reading time as I would like but I'm hoping to change that. Lately, if I can keep up with the New Yorker every week that's pretty good! But I think being a part of this community will really help, and I'm excited to get started.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: A little about me...

Unread post

Welcome!!!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Federika22 Craig's List has been a very effective method for us to get quality members. I'm really happy you've found us and I hope you jump right in and get comfortable. Welcome to BookTalk! Quote:I have trouble meeting people who ask real questions and desire real answers.So do most of us.I'm sure you noticed that we read "The End of Faith." You're welcome to make comments on that book at any time.Quote:I don't have a lot of friends because I don't ever meet any interesting free thinkers!For whatever reason I'm extremely lucky in this regard. I've got incredible friends and most are freethinker's. You ought to try going to an Atheist MeetUp in your area. Where do you live? I'll find you a local group, if one is available, if you simply give me your city/state.Quote: I shy away from people who have a completely different worldview than I do, such as the young women from my mother's church whom she always pushes on me.I have mixed feelings on this one. I completely understand the frustration with having friendships with people with completely different worldviews, but atheists and agnostics are in a minority and you cannot live in a cave. Most Christians and religious people are good people and worth your time. If they seem upset by your personal views drop them as friends, but if they are tolerant you might want to give those relationships a shot. Over time you'll probably have some quality conversations and you might do them some good with your clear thinking.But don't get me wrong. I seek out like-minded people too. We all want to be around people that see things similarly. I'm just to the point where I realize that this world is filled with mystics that believe in one form of nonsense or another. If I eliminate all of them from my group of friends I'll be all alone. Again, I'm so damn lucky. Just about every one of my closest friends are atheists. We have a core group of about 8 of us that have been friends for over 20 years. I can only think of 1 or 2 that are considered theists. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 9/5/06 1:37 pm
Federika22

Unread post

Thanks for the welcomes!Chris, I appreciate what you had to say. I agree that there are many people of faith that are great people. However, I noticed that while I tended to stay mute about my views until asked or unless it directly came up (out of politeness), people of faith (in my experience Christians and New Agers),felt it acceptable to drop "God" into their speech on a regular basis, even when I had been quite clear that I'm not interested in it in any way. It gets old after awhile and I found myself getting resentful! I still have friends/family of faith that are great people overall, but I can only take them in doses because of this. Another issue I am dealing with, ( I'm sure I just have to accept it and move on), is that I'm continuously puzzled by all the intelligent people I know who are caught up in religion. I just don't get it! Often I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and I've wondered if the problem was just me before. It would definitely be great for me to meet some friends who have similar viewpoints as I do. This online community is a great start!Take care,Federika Edited by: Federika22 at: 10/24/06 3:09 am
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Looks like nobody has started an Atheist MeetUp near Chico. atheists.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/chico/?from=loc_pick You can start one yourself though, so check out that page. You are so right about theists "sharing" their faith with us atheists. When I have nothing to lose I engage these people in debate, but overall it is a losing battle and completely exhausting. I too don't understand why so many seemingly intelligent people believe in invisible beings.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

There is an Atheist MeetUp in Sacremento. Is that close enough to drive? atheists.meetup.com/cities/us/ca/sacramento/
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Welcome, Federica! I hope that you participate in our upcoming nonfiction book discussion. A minimum of 10 posts must be made before you can vote on the books in that forum. From your post it seems that you are interested in the topics we cover here, so hopefully something on our poll will grab your interest.
Federika22

Unread post

Chris, thanks for looking into that info for me. Sacramento is not that far- about 2 hours- so that is a possibility for now, and maybe I will get something started up here down the road. Tarav, thanks for the welcome. The books do look very interesting and I look forward to doing the reading and discussion. Talk to you later...Federika
Federika22

Last Night...

Unread post

Last night I came home to my apartment to find that someone had been inside!!!My computer (a laptop) was off the table where it normally sits and was open on the floor in the middle of the room. The mouse looked like it had been flung and was way off to the left side. The strange thing is...nothing was taken, and the only thing moved was my computer. All the doors and windows were locked with the exception of the door that leads to the garage. The garage roof is shared by the other three garages that connect to it and there is an open space where the four walls meet, at the top. So, the only thing I can come up with is that a neighbor, or someone who had access to a neighbor's apartment, came over the wall into my garage and into my apartment. But why?? Just to snoop or perv around? This really bothers me...should I move?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Last Night...

Unread post

You should call the police immediately. There are so many potential problems that you don't have any reasonable choice but to involve the police.Have your neighbors ever been in your place? Call the cops and they will dust your apartment for fingerprints. If your neighbors have never been inside your garage or touched your laptop and the cops find their prints you will be able to have them arrested.Think about all the possibilities. You have been violated. You could have been violated in a worse way, but who knows the true intentions of the person or persons that broke into your place. They may be planning to return. They may have planted hidden cameras. They may have accessed your computer and stolen personal information. They could have stolen panties, bras or whatever.If someone entered your home you need to call the police before they get bolder next time. And personally I would recommend installing an alarm and all sorts of safety features. The fact that anyone can go from garage to garage in a real problem. If you have a landlord call him or her and demand that the crawl space be blocked off.More than likely one of your male neighbors was in your place for perverted reasons. And just because you were not robbed you are not safe now. It takes a pair of balls to go inside someones home when they aren't there. What if they do it when you're sleeping inside? Think about it.Call the cops and file a report. The cops should investigate by interviewing the neighbors with access via the garage. Occam's Razor says it is probably one of them...and common sense says it was a male. Females don't commit these types of crimes very often.Don't touch your laptop. There are prints on the laptop, on the mouse, and probably on many other places in your home. I wish you luck and don't mean to worry you, but you have something to worry about.

Return to “Everything Else”