• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

A kind of legal question.

An open-minded and nonjudgmental place for sharing your personal writing, seeking feedback, and reading and discussing the writing of your fellow members.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

A kind of legal question.

Unread post

I hope this is the right place to post this one. I have begun writing a science fiction novel, well really it is space opera, set in the Star Trek franchise. No, neither Captain Kirk nor Mr. Spock nor any other characters from any of the series (so far anyway) make an appearance. But I involve Star Fleet, and have Klingons, Ferengi, and others from the franchise involved. My question: Who do I contact for permission to use these groups, etc. in my novel? I have looked on the Star Trek Wiki, on Memory Alpha, and some other sites, but can't find any leads. Any ideas???
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: A kind of legal question.

Unread post

The intellectual property rights legal reps for Star Trek.
I believe its Paramount Pictures in conjuction with CBS
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

You need to hire a clearance consultant. Start by searching for film clearance consultant. From my experience, it doesn't have to be an attorney, but if not, it needs to be someone who has had years in the film business and can understand legal terms of a contract. They will ask you to scrutinize your work and write down all the different problem areas you see that could foster infringement allegations. From that information, they will start making the calls and inform you if there are any snags.

Hey, Cattleman. Just so you know, this can be pretty expensive. Don't commit to anything without knowing the costs. Do your homework, my friend.
rdc8492
Atop the Piled Books

Unread post

Very good question! I was curious about something similar myself. I wonder if this applies to Band names as well?
If you like humorous science fiction, I invite you to read Highway to the Stars: The Beginning by B.E. Wilson

Return to “Creative Writing”