• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

A Created Universe

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

A Created Universe

Unread post

Planck etc.
To the layman, one of the most interesting parts of Jaki's book lies in its description of how the great creative scientific discoveries of Planck and Einstein in the 20th century, point toward a universe which is best understood as the creation of a personal God. He writes: "That juggernaut [of agnosticism in contemporary philosophy of science] is of no use against those two gigantic figures, Planck and Einstein, who mark the transition from the inland sea of classical physics to the wide ocean of modern physics. Through their achievement, the world appeared more singular and more coherent than ever. The unfolding of ever deeper layers of the microcosmos and the grasp of ever farther reaches of the macrocosmos continue to be based on the quantum of action and on general relativity respectively. Although both of these theories are often presented as supports of positivism, the physical reality they bear witness to calls for an epistomology irreconcilable with positivist legislation on reality as well as on science.... The coherence displayed by singularity throughout the cosmos witnesses that although that singularity pervades the entire cosmos, it comes to the cosmos from without, from the creative choice of an intellect necessarily acting for a purpose which can, in its specifics, at most be surmised by human intellect" (pp. 322-23).

Max Planck, who denied that he believed "in a personal God, let alone in a Christian God," made this statement of faith to a friend when informed of the execution of his son in late 1944: "What helps me is that I consider it a favor of heaven that since childhood a faith is planted deep in my innermost being, a faith in the Almighty and All-Good not to be shattered by anything. Of course his ways are not our ways, but trust in him helps us through the darkest trials."

Primary source
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: A Created Universe

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:The coherence displayed by singularity throughout the cosmos witnesses that although that singularity pervades the entire cosmos, it comes to the cosmos from without, from the creative choice of an intellect necessarily acting for a purpose which can, in its specifics, at most be surmised by human intellect
It's interesting how the mind searches for agency when we contemplate the great unknowns. It's almost as if the conclusion pops into our heads as the only solution. As if the only thing that could result in a uniform universe is an intelligence from the outside. One of the reasons we need to be skeptical of this answer is that we do have a hyperactive agency detection apparatus. This isn't just speculation, but a conclusion formed from countless observations of where we form false positives. False positives in attributing some phenomenon to a person when in fact it's the result of the natural world.

So if we recognize the need for skepticism toward the emotional answer, all we're left with as a tool of analysis is logic. Mulloy's conclusion is simply non-sequitur. Sure, there may be a deity that created the universe, but his line of argumentation doesn't show this.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Nevertheless, neither Planck nor Einstein was willing to go so far as to admit the existence of a creative personal mind responsible for the universe whose objectivity they were discovering.
Reading just one sentence further, it's clear Planck and Einstein disagreed with Jaki's conclusion. Indeed as far as I can tell his conclusion is catching on not one iota with contemporary physicists.

(By the way, I'm sure you understand the "primary source" for that quote by Planck would be his actual letter, not one book referencing another book that references a letter and so on. Your source on Jaki is secondary as well.)
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

I have Jaki's book in fact 24 of his books so while a secondary source quoting him is not a secondary, secondary source. I do not like secondary sources so I looked for a primary source. I do not read German so I don't know what the title of that book was but the book referencing it provided additional details about the execution of Planck's son by the NAZIs. Whether a primary source or not it is doubtful that the claim is erroneous.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Stahrwe wrote:The coherence displayed by singularity throughout the cosmos witnesses that although that singularity pervades the entire cosmos, it comes to the cosmos from without, from the creative choice of an intellect necessarily acting for a purpose which can, in its specifics, at most be surmised by human intellect
It's interesting how the mind searches for agency when we contemplate the great unknowns. It's almost as if the conclusion pops into our heads as the only solution. As if the only thing that could result in a uniform universe is an intelligence from the outside. One of the reasons we need to be skeptical of this answer is that we do have a hyperactive agency detection apparatus. This isn't just speculation, but a conclusion formed from countless observations of where we form false positives. False positives in attributing some phenomenon to a person when in fact it's the result of the natural world.

So if we recognize the need for skepticism toward the emotional answer, all we're left with as a tool of analysis is logic. Mulloy's conclusion is simply non-sequitur. Sure, there may be a deity that created the universe, but his line of argumentation doesn't show this.
yes of course, Interbane.
it will and perhaps always will be inferential logic and never an argument of air tight deductive validity.
yours is simply more of the metaphysical speculation some of us have no trouble spotting.
No one has to my knowledge ever understood anything better by assuming that there is no reason for why it is the way it is.

Leibniz also once opined he was willing to accept that we often do not know what reasons there are. But it's not the same thing as saying there are no reasons.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:yours is simply more of the metaphysical speculation some of us have no trouble spotting.
I don't think I included any of my own speculations, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
ant wrote:No one has to my knowledge ever understood anything better by assuming that there is no reason for why it is the way it is.
You can understand evolution better when you realize there isn't reason behind the way things evolve.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

"You can understand evolution better when you realize there isn't reason behind the way things evolve"

Thanks for proving my point.
You didnt have to prove it so quickly
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:"You can understand evolution better when you realize there isn't reason behind the way things evolve"

Thanks for proving my point.
You didnt have to prove it so quickly
Like Stahrwe, if you think I proved a point for you, explain how. Simply stating it as the case doesn't make it so. It's akin to trolling.
bionov
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Many philosophers and theologians have formulated an argument for the existence of God by claiming that the world that man observes with his senses must have been brought into being by God as the first cause. The classic Christian formulation of this argument came from the medieval theologian St. Thomas Aquinas, who was influenced by the thought of the ancient Greek philosopher Aristotle. Aquinas argued that the observable order of causation is not self-explanatory. It can only be accounted for by the existence of a first cause; this first cause, however, must not be considered simply as the first in a series of continuing causes, but rather as first cause in the sense of being the cause for the whole series of observable causes.
Ref: Encyclopedia Britannica
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Jaki writes one contradiction after another.
Jaki wrote:That juggernaut [of agnosticism in contemporary philosophy of science] is of no use against those two gigantic figures, Planck and Einstein, who mark the transition from the inland sea of classical physics to the wide ocean of modern physics.
As I already quoted, Planck and Einstein would have disagreed with his conclusion.
Jaki wrote: Through their achievement, the world appeared more singular and more coherent than ever.
Not sure what he means by "singular" in that sentence, but considering quantum physics, it's difficult to see how the world appears more coherent than ever. One physicist described the bewildering confusion of those theories by saying "If you think you understand quantum physics, you do not understand quantum physics."
Jaki wrote: The unfolding of ever deeper layers of the microcosmos and the grasp of ever farther reaches of the macrocosmos continue to be based on the quantum of action and on general relativity respectively.
And as I understand it, the physics of those two realms contradict each other, which undermines his statements below.
Jaki wrote: Although both of these theories are often presented as supports of positivism, the physical reality they bear witness to calls for an epistomology irreconcilable with positivist legislation on reality as well as on science....
An assertion with no explanation or support.
Jaki wrote:The coherence displayed by singularity throughout the cosmos witnesses that although that singularity pervades the entire cosmos, it comes to the cosmos from without...
The bold phrase is a bit of word salad to me. He doesn't explain what "singularity throughout the cosmos" means, how that is coherence, and how can coherence witness? If he's saying the laws of physics are the same throughout the cosmos, that doesn't seem surprising since it all started in one place, a singularity prior to the big bang. And as Interbane said, the conclusion that this came "from without" is simply bolted on non-sequitur.
Jaki wrote:...from the creative choice of an intellect necessarily acting for a purpose which can, in its specifics, at most be surmised by human intellect.
How does he know it's an intellect necessarily acting for a purpose? He says that purpose "at most" can be "surmised", i.e. it's a guess or conjecture without evidence. Jaki states the universe is without meaning we'll ever understand.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”