• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

A book on linguisitcs

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

A book on linguisitcs

Unread post

Can anyone recommend a good book on understanding linguisitcs? I just finished Samuel Delany's "Babel 17" and the whole book was about communication and the importance, and limitations, of language in how we view existence and how we exist in relation to each other. I have read some reviews of this book and the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis was brought to my attention. I admit I do not know much about this stuff...but the book piqued my interest in this topic.So any suggestions would be appreciated.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 1/19/06 3:50 pm
Dissident Heart

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!

Noam Chomsky: On Nature and Language

Unread post

For all the Chomskian connections I bring to Booktalk, I am most remiss in tackling his Linguistic genius. His work has been revolutionary in the field of Linguistics and has shaped generations to come. He is always careful to distinguish between his political views and his work in linguistics, saying neither influence the other. One book well worth exploring is his On Nature and Language Quote:In On Nature and Language Noam Chomsky develops his thinking on the relation between language, mind and brain, integrating current research in linguistics into the burgeoning field of neuroscience. The volume begins with a lucid introduction by the editors Adriana Belletti and Luigi Rizzi. This is followed by some of Chomsky's recent writings on these themes, together with a penetrating interview in which Chomsky provides the clearest and most elegant introduction to current theory available. It should make his Minimalist Program accessible to all. The volume concludes with an essay on the role of intellectuals in society and government. On Nature and Language is a significant landmark in the development of linguistic theory. It will be welcomed by students and researchers in theoretical linguistics, neurolinguistics, cognitive science and politics, as well as anyone interested in the development of Chomsky's thought.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Re: Noam Chomsky: On Nature and Language

Unread post

Thanks Dissident!HA...after all the Chomsky fuss...I guess we cannot deny that this was right on topic! Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Actually, on this point, Dissident is totally on track. Chomsky is a recognized authority on linguistics. Actually, that's how I first heard of Chomsky. He's also a pain in the ass to read, so I don't know if I'd take him as a starting point, but that isn't to besmirch his achievement at all.It's been a while since I've really looked at linguistics, so I don't recall any names offhand, but I'll dig around a little and see if I can find some more accessible introductory texts. I actually know a professor of semiotics who gave me a few titles to read, but I didn't get very far in them before I got distracted by other topics. I'll see if I still have his list somewhere around my apartment.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I appreciate it.Thank you both.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Jade

re:

Unread post

9Chomsky 9I think I'm actually in love with that man. Anywho...I happen to have a lovely 800 page book on the introduction to linguistics. It's awful and dreadfully complicated and involves alot of drawing 'trees'. However, another option to explore misterpessimistic is any local college/university bookstore. They're bound to have an introductory text (a fat 900 page one) complete with a workbook! (ohhh... ahhhh)
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: re:

Unread post

Doesn't Pinker study/teach linguistics? I've only read Blank Slate, but I seem to remember references to studies on language. Perhaps he has written a book on linguistics or has referenced books on linguistics in his books. Maybe that's an avenue to try out.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: re:

Unread post

Actually, linguistics is a pretty broad field. We might be able to give you more precise suggestions if there's some aspect of linguistics that you're specially interested in. Are you looking to trace the historical development of language, for instance, or are you more interested in the characteristics of language?
Jade

re:

Unread post

Or.. do you desperately want to draw lots of trees?

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”