• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
cwchat

Enter the Matrix

Unread post

I read 1984 as well. It did not change me. It only made me stronger in my religious up bringing and I am proud of it. 1984 is gone. Enter the Matrix.
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: 1984 and its imapct on me

Unread post

Nick&Rick&anyone else- When you decide to read Brave New World, let me know. I read it years ago and own a copy. I remember enjoying it. I would like to read it again. I will read it with you if you let me know when you'd like to begin.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I will let you know. I will give it more priority now that you have proposed this little endeavor!Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
RickU

Unread post

Me too. I'll make sure that I pick up a copy. In Vino Veritas
James Totalitarian

Unread post

I honestly think that as prose (as diametrically opposed to poetry), 1984 comes very, very close to being the perfect example. As a narrative, a polemic and a social outcry it is very nearly perfect -- I'll dare anyone not to quote it at some point in their life.
Tiarella

Re: 1984 and its impact on me

Unread post

I read 1984 over 25 years ago, about the same time I read Darkness at Noon; I may have the two mixed up a bit.Spoiler: Which one had the two lovers who were brainwashed into denouncing each other, and ended with the male protaganist totally devoted to his government, and awaiting a bullet to his head?I ask because I just saw the Chinese movie, Hero. The reviewer gushed over the aesthetics of the movie and completely missed the theme: all dissent is criminal; it is better to kill oneself than threaten The Leader; only The Leader will bring us peace (by means of war). I went to the movie with a large group, and everyone else was gushing over the beautiful images - even my spouse was doing so! I was the only one who was appalled at the message - h_ll, I was the only one who noticed there was a message!For the record, I got through to my husband. The movie was like a 1984 (or Darkness at Noon) that applauded Big Brother's thought-control. Harris would love this movie!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Quote:Spoiler: Which one had the two lovers who were brainwashed into denouncing each other, and ended with the male protaganist totally devoted to his government, and awaiting a bullet to his head?That was 1984. Winston was brought to Room 101 and broken with the rats in the face cage! I do not think he was totally devoted to the government, but he accepted that he could not question it anymore.Quote:The reviewer gushed over the aesthetics of the movie and completely missed the theme: all dissent is criminal; it is better to kill oneself than threaten The Leader; only The Leader will bring us peace (by means of war).I would have to see the movie, but that is a different culture and a different time (I assume the time is historical).What is Chinese or Japanese culture in the movie?Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of PainHEY! Is that a ball in your court? - Mr. P
Tiarella

Unread post

Nick - thanks for listening to me grumble. Sometimes it helps to vent! The movie was made in China a couple of years ago, but is only now being released in US theaters.I disagree that the movie's setting (China, in the reign of the Emperor who built the Great Wall) dictates the movie's message. One can make a movie about - oh, Sparta! and craft the movie so that it is laudatory, critical, apologetic - whatever one wishes. Or rather, one can do so if one has freedom of expression. I doubt that those who made this movie were free to criticize Glorious Leaders, had they even wanted to.It is a beautiful movie. Too bad the political message hit like a ton of bricks!edit: Heh- make the post and leave out the point, right. Hero is a bit like a 1984 in which Big Brother is the ultimate Good Guy. It sympathizes with the movie's Winstons, but agrees that Winston must die for China's good. Edited by: Tiarella at: 9/8/04 11:30 pm
ADO15

Unread post

A few posts too late, but anyone reading Brave New World mightcare to look for a copy of Island by Aldous Huxley, which presents a more positive utopia. _________________________________________________________1·61803 39887 49894 84820 45868 34365 63811
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Oh, I liked "the Island" -- interesting book. It's always been an appealing genre -- that of Distopias (even Utopian settings have their negatives). I would pick up a copy of Brave New World too...Lori "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds."

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”