Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
1-29/Wk5/Ch5: Peter, the Betrayer 
Cunning Linguist

Post 1-29/Wk5/Ch5: Peter, the Betrayer
Please Post Reply any thoughts on this chapter, what you liked or disliked about it, the Truths that resonated with your Spirit - OR - answer the chapter questions for group discussion below:

1. What personality traits set peter apart from the other disciples?

2. What were Peter strengths? What were his weaknesses?

3. Have you ever had a friend betray you, or have you ever betrayed friend? Did you learn any lessons in the process?

4. Because of the forgiveness of Jesus, Peter found a healed friendship with him. How was Peter different after Jesus forgave him?

Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:04 am
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

Post Re: 1-29/Wk5/Ch5: Peter, the Betrayer
Meaningful excerpts from this chapter:

Peter struggled to his feet and shouted, "Lord, if it's You, tell me to come to You on the water!"
. . . and as long as his eyes were on Jesus, Peter was not in danger. But then reality slapped him with a spray of water from the closest whitecap.
. . . What was he doing? He couldn't walk on water.
. . . And so Peter lowered his eyes from Jesus to the waves, and as he did, he began to sink.
. . . Jesus said, "You of little faith. Why did you doubt?"

This is exactly how it happens when I/we take our eyes off the Lord - fear and doubt creep in as we navigate uncertain waters, yet it happens over and over again in my life. This is why we need each other so the Lord can pull us back up onto the body of work He is doing in us and through us. I think sometimes fear and doubt creep in because of lies we believe, whether they be about ourselves, and/or false religious doctrines that may have been taught by family when we were young. Mark Twain said the following:

“The glory which is built upon a lie soon becomes a most unpleasant incumbrance. … How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!” – Autobiographical dictation, 2 December 1906. Published in Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vo

Lies ultimately come from the enemy of our soul, and once we believe in a lie, it is very difficult to undo that false belief because so many layers of life are lived a certain way based on that lie. In my own life it has been of utmost importance to have people around me who will call out that lie and replace it with the truth in Christ.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:22 pm
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

3. Have you ever had a friend betray you, or have you ever betrayed friend? Did you learn any lessons in the process?

Absolutely . . . I've been on both sides of this coin and learned that I'd much rather be the betray-ee than the betray-er because it can cause a mess in one's own life when we betray someone. We all know what happened to Judas.

Jesus knew Judas would eventually betray Him from the very beginning, but Jesus chose Judas as one of the twelve and loved him like the others. God used Judas' betrayal to fulfill scripture, and I do believe God uses betrayals in our own lives according to His will and purpose. Here is a reflection with a meaningfully articulated explanation of this:

3 Nails
TGIF Today God Is First Volume 2 by Os Hillman
Friday, February 21 2014

"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" (Gal 2:20).

It took three nails to crucify our Savior to the cross. God says that if we are to allow Christ to live through us then the old man must be crucified. We can each voluntarily crucify our flesh, but we often cannot complete the process by ourselves. It usually requires a third party to put the third nail into the old man that allows the work to be completed in us.

For Jesus, it was Judas.
For David, it was Absalom.
For Joseph, it was his brothers.

Betrayal is a nail that will either complete the death process, or we will linger in unforgiveness and bitternesss that will result in an even worse state - partial death.
This condition never allows you and me to experience true freedom.

When Jesus died He was freed to fulfill His mission on earth. He was resurrected from death to glory. When you and I die we are freed to become all God wants us to become in our lives before God. God gives us the cross to give us God and a new life in Christ.

Is someone in your life trying to put the third nail into your death process? Do not fight it. Allow God to complete His process.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints. You have freed me from my chains." -Psalm 116:15, 16b

Last edited by Jan_wow on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:30 pm
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

More meaningful passages from this chapter:

Then, just as quickly, Peter went from being the one honored by Jesus to the one disciplined.
Jesus looked shocked at Peter's statement. "Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but of humans."

- Peter couldn't bear the thought of Jesus being killed, which was understandable partly because he loved Jesus and partly because he knew Jesus was God on earth to save the Jews. If we are true followers and disciples of our Lord we must always keep focused on what God wants out of a situation, not what we want or think it should be. If we try to manipulate an outcome to our own good, we will be disciplined by God. An interesting example of this happened to me recently. I was at a family gathering and was very obviously slighted by other family members. On the drive home I was thinking about it, and decided that I would talk to my son the very next week to find out what was going on. But then I prayed about it and the Lord placed the scripture on my heart that He (the Lord) must increase and I must decrease. So the plan changed and I will allow myself to be slighted with excited anticipation of the work the Lord will do in my family. I know deep down that if I carry out my original plan, it would backfire on me, and I would stand disciplined by the Lord.

This time Jesus hesitated, His gaze aimed straight at Peter's heart. "Unless I wash you, you have no part with Me."

- Before we can serve God in any capacity, we need to let Him cleanse our souls. This is accomplished through the power of the Holy Spirit through sanctification. Here is an interesting article on the power of the Holy Spirit:

https://www.facebook.com/WomenOftheWell ... 9069044026

Jesus said, "You will all fall away."

- This is very comforting to me. Jesus spent so much time and effort pouring Himself into the disciples, and the whole time knowing they would all fall away during His passion and crucifixion. Jesus knows our hearts yet He still reveals Himself to us.

The first time Jesus asked Peter and a few other disciples to stand watch and pray in the Garden of Gethsemane, they fell asleep, and Jesus woke Peter up and asked, "Couldn't you keep watch for one hour?" Jesus said, "The spirit is willing. But the flesh is weak." The second time, Jesus just looked at Peter and Peter could not defend Himself because His actions (falling asleep) had said all there was to say. The third time Peter resolved not to fall asleep again because surely he could trade his own comfort for the chance to honor Jesus. Peter fell asleep again.

- It never ceases to amaze me how strong my desire for comfort is and how difficult it is to get out of my comfort zone to do what the Lord wants me to do. I've seen it way too often, that if we don't get out of our comfort zones through our own volition to serve the Lord, then that comfort zone becomes an obstacle to His work and God may take away that comfort zone.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:41 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Critic

Peter's personality is impulsive. I suspect he would not be as able to trust the Lord if he were not so impulsive. Later in life it became a familiar thing for him, but early on he was stuck sometimes doubting his own response, and sometimes even doubting Jesus, because when he feels something strongly, he goes with it.

When I look back to my youth, I was rather impulsive as well. I did some things that adults thought were quaintly enthusiastic, because I went with what I thought was right. They did reflect my lack of maturity, but they also reflected how much things meant to me when I found them meaningful.

I am still pretty open and honest. I don't usually worry much about keeping my weaknesses secret. I wish I could say that openness, and some part of my old impulsiveness, meant I could be easily led by the Holy Spirit. What it really seems to mean is that I have to watch out that I don't hurt anyone else by accident. Still, sometimes being able to let go of pride easily can make opportunities for the Spirit.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Jan_wow
Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Critic

Jan_wow wrote:
Lies ultimately come from the enemy of our soul, and once we believe in a lie, it is very difficult to undo that false belief because so many layers of life are lived a certain way based on that lie. In my own life it has been of utmost importance to have people around me who will call out that lie and replace it with the truth in Christ.
I don't think I ever needed "naming and shaming", but I certainly have built on my "false self", my mask put on to maintain appearances. My false fronts have easily become excuses to fail others, and a little confrontation on that has usually been helpful. Tough love, so to speak.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 am
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

Harry Marks wrote:
Jan_wow wrote:
I don't think I ever needed "naming and shaming", but I certainly have built on my "false self", my mask put on to maintain appearances. My false fronts have easily become excuses to fail others, and a little confrontation on that has usually been helpful. Tough love, so to speak.

Absolutely "naming and shaming" is not appropriate, and I agree that tough love or the truth in love is so very important - and only those who truly love someone would do this because it's difficult and uncomfortable. Unfortunately, people who are centered on themselves tend to be very sensitive and may not see the 'love' in which the truth was revealed, at least maybe not at first. I've also experienced situations in which the truth in love was received beautifully at first, but then the enemy gets a foothold during the days/weeks afterwards and turns it into something completely different. It's very important to have the leadership of the Holy Spirit in these conversations, and even with that leadership I've learned just because someone may not receive it well doesn't mean it shouldn't have been said.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm
Profile Email
Book Critic

Jan_wow wrote:
Absolutely "naming and shaming" is not appropriate, and I agree that tough love or the truth in love is so very important - and only those who truly love someone would do this because it's difficult and uncomfortable.
It's a difficult business to puzzle out. It makes sense to me that constructive criticism, or the truth in love, is important and difficult. And obviously it is easy to take the wrong way. I know some checklist items to go over before offering such insight: be sure I address the behavior, not characterizing the person's nature; don't "hit and run" by leaving the person on their own to work out the implications; be sure I have thought about their benefit and am not just venting or being an expert. But frankly I am almost never in the position of offering correction, and when I have it has been impulsive and so, no checklist.

Jan_wow wrote:
Unfortunately, people who are centered on themselves tend to be very sensitive and may not see the 'love' in which the truth was revealed, at least maybe not at first. I've also experienced situations in which the truth in love was received beautifully at first, but then the enemy gets a foothold during the days/weeks afterwards and turns it into something completely different. It's very important to have the leadership of the Holy Spirit in these conversations, and even with that leadership I've learned just because someone may not receive it well doesn't mean it shouldn't have been said.
In my interactions the leadership of the Holy Spirit usually means directing me toward giving a person space to recognize the problem for themselves. It would be interesting to know about the experience of the people whose correction has helped you, and how they recognized that it would have good effects and build up your insight rather than just making you defensive.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:48 am
Profile Email
Cunning Linguist

Harry Marks wrote:
In my interactions the leadership of the Holy Spirit usually means directing me toward giving a person space to recognize the problem for themselves. It would be interesting to know about the experience of the people whose correction has helped you, and how they recognized that it would have good effects and build up your insight rather than just making you defensive.

The examples that come to mind were spontaneous and not well thought out at all. I believe the Holy Spirit is spontaneous and can work on either side of a conversation to get the right message to where it needs to go, even if it's delivery is hurtful. I've learned that there are no rules or formulas for any given situation between people because we don't know what the Lord is doing in another's life. For example, back in 2009 I was having coffee with a lady from church, and was telling her how hard I was trying to remain humble in a certain situation in my life. I'll never forget it, right away she said, "Trying to remain humble is false humility. True humility is a gift from God and comes from the heart and you don't have to try." I had no idea what she was talking about but thanked her for telling me even though inside I was devastated. Later that day I asked the Lord to teach me the difference between false humility and true humility. I don't remember how long it took for His answer to come to me, but He answered by giving me the gift of true humility that comes from the heart. It was amazing how the Holy Spirit worked in that situation. I was so emotionally distraught after the lady from church and I finished visiting, and the Lord used that raw emotion and teachable spirit to give me a gift. There's no doubt in my mind the Holy Spirit spoke those words so bluntly through her - I think she was even surprised herself.

The following user would like to thank Jan_wow for this post:
Harry Marks
Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:24 pm
Profile Email
Book Critic

That's a good example. I believe the Holy Spirit works in spontaneity a lot, but also in planning and discipline a lot. In a way these are two sides of the Spirit, and you have the whole range of response to them - charismatics and Pentecostals mainly recognize the spontaneous side, and Calvinists mainly recognize the orderly and careful side, and ideally we can be open to both.

I don't agree in general with what your friend told you about humility. But your later experience confirmed it for you, and so it was the right message for you, even if it was hard to hear. I believe God honors our sincere efforts, and that trying to be humble is no more a failure by definition than trying to be patient. But yes, how much better when the inner disturbance is simply taken away by God, so no effort is necessary to focus on the work and the needs of others, rather than the sense of accomplishment and the pride of being a good person. Maybe we will get into that a little discussing the next chapter.

The following user would like to thank Harry Marks for this post:
Jan_wow
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:16 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.