• In total there are 57 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Your favourite comic books

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
MonsterDick

Your favourite comic books

Unread post

Most people hate them and think they are useless, but I assure you there are some that are cool and educational too.My choice:The Archies!!!
Timothy Schoonover

Re: Your favourite comic books

Unread post

Anything by Frank Miller does is good. If you liked the movie Sin City, read the graphic novels. They're better. I haven't gotten around to reading his Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, but I hear its one of the best Batman takes out there, if you like Batman, which I do. Jim Lee's Batman: Hush four volume series is also very good.I used to really be into this comic called Agent X. The art was good and the dialogue top notch, but after about ten paperbacks or so, they switched writers and artists and it all went down the shitter. So the first ten or so are worth reading, especially if you are into the mythology of Cable and Deadpool.Comic book mythology has come a really long way and so many of the familiar characters have so much story behind them it would really take years to grasp the intricate network of relationships, plot twists, betrayals, allegiances, and personalities that make up what they are. It seems like I've heard that you can even get some kind of degree in comic book mythology. Comic books are not a waste of time, you'll find great, innovative, and artistic storytelling in this world on par with the cinema, or better. Just be prepared that it is a subculture that can suck you in. Fortunately, I have a roommate that feeds me all the good stuff.Read the Sin City graphic novels. You won't regret it.BTW, have you seen Chasing Amy? There is a pretty funny Archies discussion in that movie. Kevin Smith is a big comic book fan, and does a lot of covers and even some dialogue in various comics.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

"Dark Knight Returns" is absolutely incredible...Moore's "Watchmen" is fantastic as well..they are making a movie from it soon.My favorites, in addition to the above, are: The Sandman (Gaiman), Wolverine, Punisher, Faust, The Tick and much more.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Izdaari

Unread post

It ended last year, but for me nothing beats Cerebus. "He came to our city in the early dawn...Though later he would be called the finest warriorto enter our gates, at the time, he was but a curiosity...You see, he stood only five hands high, had a lengthysnout, a long tail and was covered with short grey fur...He was, in short.............CEREBUS THE AARDVARK."www.geocities.com/College...REBUS.htmle ... ki/Cerebus
Timothy Schoonover

Unread post

I think a lot of us could appreciate Knights of the Dinner Table. If you're into table top gaming, or even mmorpg's, it's hilarious.www.kenzerco.com/periodic...urrent.php
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I used to read "Lobo". He was fraggin' cool! I don't read any comic books now. In fact, "Lobo" was the only comic book I ever really liked. I also get an occasional installment from an ex-boyfriend/current friend of mine who is a cartoonist. I read his stuff too. He has yet to publish anything though.
Felisari
Master Debater

Unread post

I liked the Candy Candy ones when I was so Young.

Also Asterix and Obelix :)
To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.
Oscar Wilde
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

Does it have to be in book form? 2 of my favorite comics are web-based and not a storyline style. The first one is a bit like The Far Side except closer to IT geekery than biology geekery and the second is hilarious because it uses the same picture every time but with lots of important words.

http://xkcd.com/
http://www.qwantz.com/index.php

If it has to be a running storyline and you like MMORPGs try out this one:

http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=1
Jaci
Master Debater

Unread post

The KISS comic books. I have quite a few of them because I love Gene Simmons.
gesler0811
Experienced

Unread post

The Walking Dead comes to mind, first and foremost.

Uncanny X-Men, if it's even still around. I think they changed it to Uncanny Avengers or something. Part of the reason I gave up on Marvel comics was because of the almost yearly shakeups and major universe overhauls they kept committing.

Amazing Spider-Man.

I used to have a thing for Spawn, back when that first came out.
Voodoo, zombies, artifacts, and magic: Urban fantasy with a New Orleans Flair
I am currently offering my urban fantasy novel 'Line of Sight' for only 99 cents - Buy from Smashwords and use Coupon Code CT92F
Come see why the book is getting such rave reviews! (Also available for kindle, nook, and iTunes, and as a paperback from Amazon)
Official Line of Sight Page

Return to “Everything Else”