• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Will you attend a chat with Dr. Grayling?

#16: Sept. - Oct. 2004 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Will you attend a chat with Dr. Grayling?

Unread post

EveryoneI've corresponded recently with Dr. Grayling and he has accepted our invitation to a live chat session! But I'm being cautious. It's been months since we completed his book and I want to test the interest level of the community for this chat session. I do not want to waste his time.As many of you may recall we originally had it scheduled for a Saturday at 10:00am eastern, but Professor Grayling had to cancel and request a reschedule. We simply never rescheduled...until now. My bad.Dr. Grayling lives in England and we have to accommodate his schedule. We'll probably need to do the chat on a Saturday or Sunday at 10 or 11:00am eastern. This is 3:00 or 4:00pm in the UK. Will this work for you? Most of our author chats are on Thursday nights at 9:00pm eastern, but sometimes we have to deal with other time zones.I'm hoping as many members as possible will take this poll AND make a post to this thread. I'm hoping for at least a dozen members in the chat room for this author chat session. You don't even have to have read the book to attend and participate in the chat session. These are the people that actively participated in the discussion. I'll send an email to the entire community right after I post this poll, but I'm really interested in knowing if the below members will make an effort to attend that chat session.PeterDFbobbiginofJeremy1952scrumfishKatala AuY2Babeltaravmisterpessimisticamd2003Niall001wrkellyTiarellaBy the way, we will be having many author chats over the next few months. But we need to make each and every one a success if we expect to be able to attract these authors to our community. So I need your help folks! Question:Do you think you will be able to attend a live chat session with Dr. Grayling sometime in late April or early May, on a Saturday or Sunday around 10:00 or 11:00am eastern?Remember folks, this is what makes BookTalk unique. This is quite an opportunity.ChrisResults (total votes = 11):Yes, I am almost certain I will attend&nbsp8 / 72.7%&nbsp I doubt I will be able to attend&nbsp3 / 27.3%&nbsp 
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Will you attend a chat with Dr. Grayling?

Unread post

Of course, I'll be present!Chris
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

Hi ChrisI'll be there. As long as it doesn't clash with a wedding or something.Peter
bobbi

Unread post

For some reason it wouldn't accept my vote Chris, So, the answer is that I will try hard to attend. May is better for me since I'm on a out of town work assignment thru most of April. Sunday is better than Sat. I did read the book so I'd enjoy doing the chat.Bobbi
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

Chris, I took a look at transcripts of past chat sessions and they looked: a. very confusing b. embarrassing - the way people were chatting to each other and ignoring their guest.Grayling seems very interesting, but I don' think I'd like it - so I voted No.Ken
CSflim

Unread post

Chris, I will do my very best to attend the chat. I would love to participate in a chat with Dr. Grayling.After reading 'What is Good?' I went on to read a number of his other books (all of which I can whole-heartedly recommend); The Meaning of Things, The Reason of Things, Wittgenstein: a very short introduction and Russell: a very short introduction. ___________________Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?-Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

KenI think you must have only looked at the Michael Shermer chat. That chat session was a nightmare and nothing like all of the other chat sessions we've had. One of the unique features of this community is that members have the opportunity to interact directly with our authors. If you're not used to live chat sessions I'm sure the transcripts looked chaotic, but I can assure you we all had a blast and every author would welcome a return visit to our community. I'm not about to make the chats more structured as most members don't want to be a spectator. And comments back and forth between members is to be expected. The chat session is exactly that - a "chat" or conversation. You can read interview transcripts anywhere, but BookTalk is the ONLY place you can have a casual discussion directly with these authors.Chris
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I will be at the chat!
pctacitus

Unread post

I doubt it. ...[T]o ignore the classics is ultimately to weaken the very foundations of our society. - James Atlas, Book Wars: What it Takes to be Educated in America
PeterDF
Freshman
Great Britain

Unread post

BTW folksHaving seen Prof. Grayling speak on a number of occasions, I should point out that he is a very interesting, informed and humerous speaker. I'm convinced that he'll make an unforgettable guest. I'm looking forward to this hugely and I want to encourage everyone to attend, I'm sure you will all enjoy it.Peter

Return to “What is Good? The Search for the Best Way to Live - by A.C. Grayling”