• In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why the supernatural doesn't exist

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Why the supernatural doesn't exist

Unread post

DWill wrote:If you are agreeing that the supernatural doesn't exist, Robert, as interbane first asserted, I also agree. That proposition probably must be termed an article of faith, though, in the interest of full sincerity.
Saying there is no supernatural can either be an analytical statement, true by definition, as Interbane has implied, or a matter of induction, true by probability. The scientific approach is to say that error, utility and mendacity are much more probable causes of supernatural belief than the fact these beliefs are true. The vanishingly small probability that any supernatural belief is true means we have an asymptotic situation, a one in infinity chance or zero probability that might as well be rejected as a simple matter of faith.
DWill wrote: What I would disagree with is the assertion that I think you make about such belief being unethical and immoral.
I consider supernatural belief immoral because it substitutes a false imaginary fantasy world in place of the empirical reality that is available to us through scientific evidence, and therefore results in delusions forming opinions, creating unnecessary suffering. This is a Buddhist line of reasoning, based on the four noble truths which define delusion as the cause of suffering.
DWill wrote: This is for two reasons. One, there hasn't been any dissection of 'supernatural' to the degree that we can be sure of what we're talking about. If it's biblical miracles only, then we're fairly specific, but there is a much wider meaning that people give to 'supernatural,' so the criticism will quickly lose its thrust.
The main part of the wider meaning of supernatural is the belief in a heavenly afterlife. This belief is the cornerstone of Christian ethics, with fear of hell and desire for heaven used in preaching to encourage good behavior. My view is that this framework should be seen as an obsolete theory of reality, since the more pertinent ethical concept of heaven is as the ideal goal that we aim for in improving the earth. Afterlife theory deflects our moral focus from the need to improve the earth, although it is not altogether bad in its moral effects.
DWill wrote:And two, compared to the multitude of other sources of harm from human mental process, it isn't clear to me that a 'supernatural' quality, whatever we're saying that is, is distinctly more harmful on average. It's not the eighth deadly sin, despite the fact that we can all conjure instances that might make it seem so for the moment.
What I dislike about supernatural thinking, for all its adaptivity, is that it produces a psychology that implies we humans are aliens here on earth. Contrary to the supernatural meme that sees people as intangible spiritual beings whose core identity is with God in heaven, our real ethical identity has to emerge from scientific understanding that humans are evolved animals on a finite planetary home.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

a german dude wrote:in the midst
not other

not supernatural

simply

IN THE MIDST :clap2:

the cleverest place to hide ever :-D
some dude probably not german wrote:there am I in the midst of them.'
merry christmas... hic!

i've seen "him" there today

hey santa, pass that wineskin will ya :wink:
it produces a psychology that implies we humans are aliens here on earth
:appl:

Well, the oppressors are trying to keep me down
Trying to drive me underground
And they think that they have got the battle won
I say forgive them Lord, they know not what they've done

'Cause, as sure as the sun will shine
I'm gonna get my share now, what's mine
And then the harder they come
The harder they fall, one and all
Ooh, the harder they come
Harder they fall, one and all
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote: Saying there is no supernatural can either be an analytical statement, true by definition, as Interbane has implied, or a matter of induction, true by probability. The scientific approach is to say that error, utility and mendacity are much more probable causes of supernatural belief than the fact these beliefs are true. The vanishingly small probability that any supernatural belief is true means we have an asymptotic situation, a one in infinity chance or zero probability that might as well be rejected as a simple matter of faith.
Had the thread title been "Why Miracles Don't exist," I wouldn't feel the need call attention to the generality of the claim. The 'supernatural ' is an ambiguous word that has different meanings for each of us. I believe, for example, that any claim for the existence of a deity is a statement that phenomena outside of nature exist. Yet we can't use the method of analyzing a specific result to determine the natural causes of it to disprove existence of a deity. I don't believe one does exist, but I know I can't prove that negative.
I consider supernatural belief immoral because it substitutes a false imaginary fantasy world in place of the empirical reality that is available to us through scientific evidence, and therefore results in delusions forming opinions, creating unnecessary suffering. This is a Buddhist line of reasoning, based on the four noble truths which define delusion as the cause of suffering.
I think Buddhism thinks of delusions in terms of the attachments and anger we have such a hard time realizing aren't real. An accurate scientific understanding wouldn't in itself put us any farther along on the path to enlightenment. We might even need to let go of these empirical realities we're attached to in order to be enlightened.
The main part of the wider meaning of supernatural is the belief in a heavenly afterlife. This belief is the cornerstone of Christian ethics, with fear of hell and desire for heaven used in preaching to encourage good behavior. My view is that this framework should be seen as an obsolete theory of reality, since the more pertinent ethical concept of heaven is as the ideal goal that we aim for in improving the earth. Afterlife theory deflects our moral focus from the need to improve the earth, although it is not altogether bad in its moral effects.
I disagree that the afterlife is the central ethical element for Christians; there are others as important, a multiplicity you would expect with a phenomenon as durable and widespread as religion. Furthermore, anyone will have a hard time arguing that under Christian dispensations earthly betterment has not received its due.
What I dislike about supernatural thinking, for all its adaptivity, is that it produces a psychology that implies we humans are aliens here on earth. Contrary to the supernatural meme that sees people as intangible spiritual beings whose core identity is with God in heaven, our real ethical identity has to emerge from scientific understanding that humans are evolved animals on a finite planetary home.
I'd say the problem with the Christian mandate form God is that it has contributed not to our thinking of ourselves as aliens, but as the only beings to whom the earth belongs. That mandate is two-sided, though, the other part of it stressing the goodness of creation and implying the need to protect it. From that, the Christian green movement gets its existence. Up to this point, science, via technology, has only increased our ability to exploit and degrade. We've always had the necessary understanding to live in greater harmony on this 'finite planetary home,' but our own evolutionary heritage seems to put us us on a runaway train hurtling toward destruction.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

DWill wrote:I believe, for example, that any claim for the existence of a deity is a statement that phenomena outside of nature exist.
but if phenomena outside nature exist how would we know?

and if we did wouldn't that render the supernatural natural?

i think i cannot grasp what supernatural means beyond being some kind of "word of the gaps".

or psychological trickery perhaps as in..

oooooh i have a giant sky daddy who is going to kick your ass if you dont kiss the ring!

what?!?! i can't see any giant sky daddy you are full of it

oooooh you cant see him coz he's SUPERNATURAL!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

youkrst wrote:
DWill wrote:I believe, for example, that any claim for the existence of a deity is a statement that phenomena outside of nature exist.
but if phenomena outside nature exist how would we know?

and if we did wouldn't that render the supernatural natural?

i think i cannot grasp what supernatural means beyond being some kind of "word of the gaps".

or psychological trickery perhaps as in..

oooooh i have a giant sky daddy who is going to kick your ass if you dont kiss the ring!

what?!?! i can't see any giant sky daddy you are full of it

oooooh you cant see him coz he's SUPERNATURAL!
I guess for those who believe that a god can do whatever it wants, nature is simply different. From their point of view, the god isn't supernatural, perhaps, but part of their natural world. Supernatural might be something else, something probably negative, such as a claim by another (i.e. false) religion. How many Christians would say they believe in the supernatural? I don't know. The word is closely associated with the paranormal, which has a poor reputation even though from my point of view the power of prayer would be entirely paranormal in nature. A man rising in bodily form to live with his father in heaven is of course way beyond paranormal, fantastical if taken literally.

Those who know about these phenomena just know. They know they're real because somebody trusted told them so, or because they sense their presence.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

DWill wrote:Those who know about these phenomena just know. They know they're real because somebody trusted told them so, or because they sense their presence.
yes, i find that very interesting.

one person might be so overwhelmed with the awesomeness of the starry night sky that they just cant help thinking there's some super awesome person behind it all, must be God right.

another might have some bizarre psychological experiences and interpret them as "God" making contact and assume it must be whatever God is most common in their culture (kinda what happened to me)

i can easily understand how someone might have an experience so intense or vivid or weird that they think "this is supernatural" as in it's beyond normal experience.

but is it? as it turns out these "unusual" moments are more common than most people think.

maybe they just sold nature short or were unaware of these sorts of things especially if they are part of a mundane pedestrian culture.

i love a good mystery.
Last edited by youkrst on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

sorry for the sloppy use of precendent and antecedent, there.

My colloquial vocab started kicking up a rooster tail
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”