• In total there are 48 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why is God Not More Evident?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Why is God Not More Evident?

Unread post

About this time last year THE GROUP was optimistic about releasing a new approach to apologetics. The concept was good but a disagreement between partners which was not directly related to the project resulted in a fracture and threatened legal action against the project. I am unable to publish or post content which was created for the project but I can post some of the secondary material which I have been doing today. These posts contain ideas which THE GROUP was working on.

You may comment on them or not. Beaumont
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Why is God Not More Evident?

Unread post

So the gist is that god has a plan, and the plan is that his method of revealing himself is slower. He doesn't want to rush any knowledge of himself, because that spoils it. But that doesn't explain why so many people go through their entire lives not believing in god. Or seeing their mental and emotional machinations as naturalistic rather than evidence of some divine creator. The "reveal" isn't merely slow, it simply doesn't exist for many people.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Wouldn't that imply it would be prudent to withhold any strong conclusions about God?

Why would God single out some people to reveal himself completely, but never to others? This implies a rather strict hierarchy among humans.

Why were there so many blatant miracles in Biblical times?

Why does the Bible ignore large civilizations on the Earth that existed at the time?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

What is current status of THE GROUP? I gather it's still quagmired in a legal standoff, unlikely to move forward? That's a shame, I was kinda looking forward to it.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
fabriziopoli
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I see God everywhere and miracles do happen in people's lives. The problem today is that negative news is what spreads the most.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

why is God not more evident?

i see evidence of God frequently, i spend quite a bit of time looking for it.

which God, well Dolos of course.
In Greek mythology, Dolos (sometimes pronounced "Dolus") is the spirit of trickery and guile. He is also a master at cunning deception, craftiness, and treachery. He is apprentice of the Titan Prometheus, and Pseudologi. His female counterpart is Apate who is the goddess spirit of fraud and deception. He was parented by the Titans Gaia and Ather (Hyginus Preface) or Erebos and Nyx (Cicero, De Natura Deorum 3.17). He became a master at his skill when he attempted to make a statue of Veritas again, in order to trick people into thinking they were seeing the real statue. But he ran out of clay, which he was using to create the statue, and had to leave the feat unfinished as he quaked in fear while his skill-master overviewed his attempt at deceitfulness. But to his surprise, Prometheus was rather included and amazed at the similarity between the statues, then Dolos became the master at his crafty and tricky ways. There are even some stories of Dolos tricking gods into lies.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

The Group is starting over. The concept was an integrated dialogue between a multidisciplinary collection of experts both Christians and atheists. The format - the Christians would discuss the atheist's comments and vice-a-versa - it is not possible to just edit the atheist' s material out. We have to start over. I am advocating the same concept and that we recruit atheists to participate. We have a meeting in March to decide.

At present we have no liability provided that we don't publish either of the two atheist participant's material.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
superb8effect
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Scarcity of evidence seems to be the hallmark of God.
If we observe carefully, miracles of God (healing,etc) occur only AT MOST 10% of sample. For example: In any church healing movement, those who experience 'temporary healing' are just 10% of attendance. But, many people are satisfy and think 10% is A LARGE EFFECT.

To me, It is a shame.
Miracles (as one of evidence of God's Work) should pass a good CONSISTENCY TEST. To be consistent, miracles should happen >90%, instead of just a 10%.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

For example: In any church healing movement, those who experience 'temporary healing' are just 10% of attendance.
yeah, i remember one healing crusade they had in my old local church where everybody seemed to have one leg slightly longer than the other and before our very eyes god restored the legs to the same length. :adore: :-D

meanwhile the people with serious medical conditions seemed to obstinately refuse to be healed... no doubt sin in their life or a lack of faith :wink:
DB Roy
Beyond Awesome

Unread post

My cousin has cerebral palsy and can't walk or do much for herself although she is quite intelligent. If you conversed with her online, you would never knew you were talking with someone severely disabled. But once she was taken to an evangelist that people SWORE could cure her. If he had, I'd be the biggest believer in the world because I know just how physically disabled she is. That was over 20 years ago. Needless to say, she still has cerebral palsy as bad as ever. She says the only thing that ever came close to curing her was skydiving. She likes to skydive with this guy who is very experienced. They wear a suit where they are strapped together so he can operate the ripcords because she can't. But she says the moment those chutes open and the wind catches them and lifts them is the only time in her life that she feels free of her disability.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”