• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 758 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

Who would like to be discussion leader for "The House of the Spirits"?

#101: Nov. - Dec. 2011 (Fiction)
lucy2

Re: Who would like to be discussion leader for "The House of the Spirits"?

Unread post

This is my first post on BookTalk, and this will be my first online book discussion. I am really looking forward to it. Robert, you seem like a wonderful discussion leader, and I am excited to see the new perspectives everyone brings to the table.
Aqueda_Veronica
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:We do not want to do anything more to scare people away from suggesting books and participating in book discussions.
I'm sorry, I was under the impression that being the discussion leader was an honor and a distinction within the group, not something that would deter people from posting suggestions at all?
I do understand your point of view Chris, I realize that being the leader requires some specific qualities. But come on, if you love a book so much that you recommend it to the whole group, why not create the discussion as well? :)
"From childhood's hour I have not been as others were
I have not seen as others saw
I could not bring my passions from a common spring
From the same source I have not taken my sorrow
I could not awake my heart to joy at the same tone
And all I loved - I loved alone"

E.A.Poe
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

I agree with Chris on this point but I think his perspective on the matter is slightly different. I think he is considering the wider perspective of how Booktalk succeeds/fails as a book discussion site/community. Of the thousands of members of Booktalk, only a small fraction really participate and then some for only a few posts. I believe this is the basis of another current thread on book selection. So, I think Chris is cautious about loading obligations on those who might suggest a book for discussion since it is important to Booktalk to get good suggestions and a variety of suggestions to keep it interesting and to encourage broader involvement in discussions. From my own point of view, I have suggested a couple of books, neither of which were selected, but I recall thinking that I may volunteer to be discussion leader if my suggestion were picked. I don't think that is an unreasonable proposition if a person is comfortable with it, but I don't think it should be an obligation. Anyway, that is my interpretation of his comment ... I'm sure Chris will tell me if I'm completely wrong (which I might be)!
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Aqueda_Veronica wrote: I was under the impression that being the discussion leader was an honor and a distinction within the group, not something that would deter people from posting suggestions at all?
I do understand your point of view Chris, I realize that being the leader requires some specific qualities. But come on, if you love a book so much that you recommend it to the whole group, why not create the discussion as well? :)
Hi Veronica
I do regard it as an honor to lead discussions, and would be happy to lead the discussion on The House of the Spirits. It is simply that I am also leading the current discussion on Arguably in the non fiction forum as well, and am eager to encourage others to participate more.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

But come on, if you love a book so much that you recommend it to the whole group, why not create the discussion as well?
A decade of experience is behind my opinion that obligating anyone to do anything on a book discussion site is a surefire way to drive down the numbers of people willing to do anything other than lurk in the shadows. Giselle hits the nail on the head. I'm looking at this from a larger perspective where every decision I make has the potential to help or hinder the development and success of the community.

I would bet that the majority of people on this planet have no real desire to be in any sort of leadership role. Fear of being judged stands in the way as does simple shyness and fear of failure. Am I bright enough to lead this book discussion? Do I write well enough or will everyone be secretly laughing at my attempt to stimulate discussion? What if I say something stupid?

Many people look at being a book discussion leader as similar to public speaking. Public speaking is considered the most wide-spread fear people have. As a discussion leader my name is up in lights (on the forum description) and my profile has a "Book Discussion Leader" badge so everyone will be staring at me!

BookTalk.org is supposed to be fun and not like a school assignment or where you get nervous wondering if the teacher is going to call on you. There are a lot of brilliant and good people that have a lot to offer a book discussion but they have absolutely no interest in being thrust into the limelight.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:
I would bet that the majority of people on this planet have no real desire to be in any sort of leadership role. Fear of being judged stands in the way as does simple shyness and fear of failure. Am I bright enough to lead this book discussion? Do I write well enough or will everyone be secretly laughing at my attempt to stimulate discussion? What if I say something stupid?
Well you got me pegged! I made it through to grade 12 by the skin of my teeth so feelings of inadequacy is an issue with me.

It can be nerve wrecking to host a book but if you are with book lovers who encourage you and support you, it can be rather rewarding. And being able to laugh at yourself helps to.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

There have been many instances where the member who suggested a book has become the discussion leader, but this is certainly not a rule. I agree with Chris, suggesting a book does not automatically mean volunteering for the role of DL. A discussion leader should have fun, and some members may see it more as work, and no one wants that.

This past suggestion phase and poll was very successful in my eyes. This has been the first time that I can remember where we had four strong novels in the poll. The members who nominated a novel that was not selected as our group fiction discussion are encouraged to create their own discussion. In a situation like this, a thread could be created for discussion of the novel without a strong DL. It could be more casual.

I am very excited that Robert will be leading this discussion. I do feel guilty that Robert has been discussion leader numerous times and may not want to do it, but secretly, I am always hoping that he does volunteer. :mrgreen: I always gain more appreciation for a novel with Robert at the helm.

I have been enjoying HoS tremendously. I have about 100 pages left and I have found it hard to put down.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I can't volunteer - don't have the book in yet. If there's nobody leading by the time it comes in from the library, I'll be glad to lead. But somebody will have started by then, I'm sure.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Received the book yesterday from the library. Will jump into the Rosa the Beautiful thread once I am done that chapter.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Did I miss something? Did Robert Tulip volunteer?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!

Return to “The House of the Spirits - by Isabel Allende”