• In total there are 23 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 22 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Where do you get your books?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
WendyJoIA
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Where do you get your books?

Unread post

My husband, Rex, gets his books at Barnes and Noble but he often will say how much he misses Borders. I have found I am happy finding books at The Half Price Book Store! Oh my word can I ever get into trouble there! Last weekend we stopped at the one in Des Moines and then went to Kansas City to visit family and went to one there and well, I am now the proud owner of 16 "new to me" books! I was thrilled. I am now having trouble deciding what to read next?

Quite the dilemma huh????
Aomame
Book Nut

Re: Where do you get your books?

Unread post

I normally was purchasing at a small, independent book shop, but living in Dallas now, I still have to find one. I avoid Amazon, so at the moment my only option is Barnes and Noble.... and I hate it. People seems to be there to fill the shelves but not to share knowledge about good new literature. Well, they all know the mainstream stuff, but I try to keep away from that.

So book shopping is not as much fun as it was before - the pile of new purchases is not as big as it formerly was. Maybe I have to look for a Half Price store too, to get the book-shopaholic-happyness back :)
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

If there is something I really want I will go to Alibris on line. They offer very cheap used copies of books and I have always found what I was looking for. Goodwill shops also carry books and I have been known to carry several out on my trips there. My library has four huge book sales per year. I go crazy with these!
thebookwheel
Master Debater

Unread post

I get my books from all over! I try to support local, independent stores but I also have a Kindle. Usually I end up renting library books on my Kindle and buying at local stores, though.
The Book Wheel
www.thebookwheelblog.com
Books, Politics, + More!
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

Update: Bad relapse into old book buying habits in front of the "Buy two take one for free" shelve at Barnes and Noble.

I only wanted to pick up a book for a local book group but left the shop with 7 instead....

:ohwell:
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Aomame: You might want to try Half Price Books; it is a used book chain in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. :) They feature publisher's overstocks, books they have bought from individuals (good place to get rid of excess books), and other stuff. A couple of years ago I found a copy of "Atlas Shrugged" there (a gift for my sister-in-law). Check them out.

Personally, being retired and on a fixed income, :( I get most of my books at the local library, plus borrowing on thru the on-line library consortium they belong to. I also get freebies on my Kindle via Amazon; buy some e-books from Amazon, and visit the nearest Half Price Books (see prior paragraph). We don't have a bookstore in the town where I live, so have to travel for most looking. :(

Our local library will have its annual book fair sale in April; hard backs are usually $1.00, paperbacks 50 cents. The wife and I usually pick up a dozen or so between us, read them, then donate them for next year's sale. :)
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I also buy books at Half Price Books Cattleman. Only the one I go to is in Cincinnati. Sometimes I go to Barnes and Noble. I've recently discovered that I like Joseph-Beth Booksellers. I try to shop at local book shops but there really aren't any around here. I buy ebook for my kindle from amazon. Sometimes if I see something that looks good I'll pick up a book at Target or Walmart but not very often. I also take advantage of my local library. I think the library is a great way to try out new authors or check out books you find interesting but maybe not interesting enough to buy.
LaGraziana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I go to local bookshops and order a book only if I feel that it's a read that I long for desperately. As a matter of fact, my way of choosing books requires touching them, leafing them, smelling them, caressing them, opening them, reading a few passages - I'm a very intuitive person ;)
Edith LaGraziana
http://edith-lagraziana.blogspot.com
JeremyBenson
Gaining experience

Unread post

I always buy books in e-book format. I haven't paid for paper in a while, but when I did it was usually Coles. To be honest I love the library, because everything is free. You are limited to the selection, but if you live in a decent sized city it's usually pretty good :)
Check out 'Philosophies of Self-Publishing: Better Business' a truly unique read for self-publishing enthusiasts.
Amazon USA
Amazon Canada
Also my site:
http://www.jeremy-benson.com
luv_2_read2013
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

i like to buy from my local bookstore called blackbond books,quite small compared to other larger known bookstores.,but good selection though. in surrounding cities we have places like coles and chapters to also scope out.

Return to “Everything Else”