• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 748 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

When we discover aliens

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: When we discover aliens

Unread post

The God of Christianity created the universe so life from other worlds would know Him.

Oh, and I will continue to pretend.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

The Bible doesn't even acknowledge life outside of the Middle East, let alone on other planets. Did God forget to mention it? Seems like it would be pretty important to mention at least in passing, that there's this really big universe with other life and stuff.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The God of Christianity created the universe so life from other worlds would know Him.

Oh, and I will continue to pretend.
You're a closet atheist! I knew it!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:The Bible doesn't even acknowledge life outside of the Middle East, let alone on other planets. Did God forget to mention it? Seems like it would be pretty important to mention at least in passing, that there's this really big universe with other life and stuff.

Spain is the Middle East? Rome is the Middle East? Germany is the Middle East? And in case you want to go to the OT, how about Africa?

The Bible is about God's relationship to man. Life elsewhere is irrelevant to that story but is not precluded by it.

You should withdraw this post.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:
Dexter wrote:The Bible doesn't even acknowledge life outside of the Middle East, let alone on other planets. Did God forget to mention it? Seems like it would be pretty important to mention at least in passing, that there's this really big universe with other life and stuff.

Spain is the Middle East? Rome is the Middle East? Germany is the Middle East? And in case you want to go to the OT, how about Africa?

The Bible is about God's relationship to man. Life elsewhere is irrelevant to that story but is not precluded by it.

You should withdraw this post.
Fair enough, it was an exaggeration.

Still, if there is alien life, it would be an odd omission in the Bible, wouldn't you think? Did God know about Chinese people?
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Dexter wrote:Did God know about Chinese people?
He's making up for it now :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcjZAhG2JsM
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR

Unread post

I already answered that question.

I am no longer following this discussion. My previous comments were in the COSMOS discussion. I object to them being moved to a new thread.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Regarding this thread, I would respectfully suggest that all who have posted here, check out the video I liked on this forum under the title "Something to Think About." I know it certainly changed my thoughts about "First Contact." I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, but I personally found the video both fascinating and unsettling.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Science & Technology”