• In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

What's Cooking?

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: What's Cooking?

Unread post

Yum! Thanks Kevin.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

It's Friday night - TFIF!!

Curry Night. I'm Ok with the Curry - I've got a lovely beef balti in the oven.

However, I have made a rather scrummy looking carrot cake in two pans. It has risen like a dream and they look lovely, but, guess what? I don't know what to sandwich them with.

When I bake Victoria Sponge, I use whipping cream and strawberries or raspberries. That's not right for carrot cake.

What do you suggest?

I might use marscapone cheese with lemon zest if I don't get a better offer.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Stir-fry

Chopped into little bits: potato, carrot, asian eggplant, sweet pepper, onion, okra, broccoli, purple hull peas, green beans, corn and cabbage.

Sauteed in: canola oil.

The pepper, okra, corn and peas were freeze-dried remnants of my vegetable garden.

Sprinkled with: crushed red pepper, garlic salt

Served over: a bed of lettuce.

dashed with: picante sauce
Last edited by Kevin on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thanks Kevin.

I making fish pie tonight with Hake fillets in parsley sauce and creamy mash on top. I'm serving it with steamed spinach. I'm cooking it but I'm not really interested. Taking some medication which has just taken away my appetite. :(

Still, at this rate, I'll become quite sylph-like. :)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Any fans of seaweed? Robert is confident he can save the world with it, but I use it mainly with rice. After the rice has finished drop some seaweed in it and put a lid on it. It gives it a nice seasoning. Seaweed also works nicely as a standalone snack. ymmv
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I recently purchased a copy of 'Why Japanese Women don't get Old or Fat'. At the recommendation of the author, I then purchased a rice-cooker. I never had much trouble in cooking rice for my curry dishes, Basmati, but my rice for sushi, or Chinese dishes was only OK, and not so good as take-away rice. The rice cooker produces excellent rice without fail.

I eat seaweed too Kevin. If I buy the dried kind, Nori, it needs to be soaked, but it does add an interesting texture to meals and is very nourishing, I believe. We also buy 'samphire' from the fishmonger, which isn't seaweed, strictly speaking, but does grow on the rocks in seawater. It is quite delicious, rather like asparagus. In this part of England, ours often comes from the Welsh coast, but most is grown in Norfolk and Suffolk. When we were on holiday there last year, we saw many, many metal boxes, or stands by the roadside, with honesty boxes. You put your £1.50 into a jar and helped yourself to a bag of Samphire. People sell free-range eggs this way in this part of the World - Cheshire/Lancashire. It is lovely to be trusted and adds a certain flavour to the food.

http://www.samphire.org.uk/

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”