• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

What is the one thing that a writer does to annoy you? Pet Peeves.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

What is the one thing that a writer does to annoy you? Pet Peeves.

Unread post

I am reading a collection of short stories. The author, when describing action, does not finish his sentences. It is very annoying.
Gillianfx
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: What is the one thing that a writer does to annoy you? Pet Peeves.

Unread post

Wrong spelling of simple words.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Brooks, how does the author end the sentence? With an ellipsis...
T D Matzenik
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Several things put me off. Whatever they are, they break the mood. In prose, starting a sentence with an adverb in no way conveys the quality of the subject. Incorrect assumptions made about technical details which show the author's lack of research are all too common.
rchapman1tewantin
All Star Member
Australia

Unread post

Not giving it the ending I was hoping for! But then, they would be very predictable if they always had a happy ending.
Rita Lee Chapman
Author of the Anna Davies Mystery Series
Winston - A Horse's Tale
Dangerous Liaisons,
The Poinciana Tree
The Unicorn Angel
My Very Naughty Pony
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

When, in setting forth dialogue, the author constantly repeats 'he said' or 'she said'. Don't these people know you can show speech in other ways; "he responded," "she replied," or even... she stared at him with cold eye. "And?"
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
T D Matzenik
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:When, in setting forth dialogue, the author constantly repeats 'he said' or 'she said'. Don't these people know you can show speech in other ways; "he responded," "she replied," or even... she stared at him with cold eye. "And?"
I agree. It seems to me that a passage of dialogue can also dispense with these indications occasionally, if the context of what is said implies who said it. If done carefully and not too often, I think the passage flows more easily.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

I agree with you TD. This why a writer needs to write and read on a regular basis. I still have to work on tags when I write. It's easy to get into the “said” trap.

Steinbeck was a genius when it came to tags. The Moon is Down is a good reference to keep around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_Down
Rita McBride
Master Debater

Unread post

Brooks127 wrote:I agree with you TD. This why a writer needs to write and read on a regular basis. I still have to work on tags when I write. It's easy to get into the “said” trap.

Steinbeck was a genius when it came to tags. The Moon is Down is a good reference to keep around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon_Is_Down
The Moon is Down is actually a perfect example of things a writer does that annoy me, and a favorite writer to boot. It is very preachy. It has a clear message that the writer had expressly written the novel around, and that he throws at you at every opportunity. Of course, we all agree with the message (Nazism is wrong), but it is very obvious and lacking any subtlety. You don't need a book for that. The (wooden) characters, the plot, the descriptions; all seem to be slapped together just to get the message out. It's rare that Steinbeck annoys me, but here he had outdone himself.
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Rita McBride wrote:The Moon is Down is actually a perfect example of things a writer does that annoy me, and a favorite writer to boot. It is very preachy. It has a clear message that the writer had expressly written the novel around,
You are correct. It is preachy, but at least a person can get the morality without having to take a college course. I am completely perplexed by how many people do not understand the morality behind Plato's, "Allegory of the Cave," and thus require the advice of a trained professional. If only they knew...

To be blunt, we need more writers who say it like it is. I wrote a very preachy story titled, “Just Follow the Procedure.” The story is a about a guy who works a job, does exactly what he is told, and finds out in the end he has made a terrible mistake by never asking any questions. You can listen to the audio of it on my website. http://www.brookskohler.com/audio-stories.html

Return to “Everything Else”