• In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
mycroftmy
Almost Comfortable

What are you currently reading?

Unread post

"An Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

I only just read through "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant an excellent chronologic briefing of philosophic principle from Plato to Dewey.
Just started reading "The Open Society & Its Enemies" by Karl Popper. Merely getting the book published was a work indeed.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

mycroftmy wrote;
"An Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore
Haven't read the book, watched the movie though.
mycroftmy
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Taylor wrote:I only just read through "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant an excellent chronologic briefing of philosophic principle from Plato to Dewey.
Just started reading "The Open Society & Its Enemies" by Karl Popper. Merely getting the book published was a work indeed.
Are you a member of MENSA? :up:

The books you read are a bit on the 'heavy' side for me :-D
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I'm listening to the audiobook of Robert Caro's epic biography of Lyndon Johnson. Finally the last few hours out of 40. And that's only volume 1.

His rise to power is quite a story, and it's just getting to the good stuff.
mycroftmy
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Dexter wrote:I'm listening to the audiobook of Robert Caro's epic biography of Lyndon Johnson. Finally the last few hours out of 40. And that's only volume 1.

His rise to power is quite a story, and it's just getting to the good stuff.
I love listening to audiobooks, as they could be considered an artistic genre themselves!

The longest that I've ever listened to was a 60 hour biography of Winston Churchill.

The longest fiction book I've listened to was "The Stand" by Stephen King, and read by Grover Gardner. This was the 1978 recording (long before the book was re-released unedited), which ran some 40 hours. I had searched for years for it and it is the rarest audio rendering of any of King's work. It took more than a decade, but the unedited audio version was released in 2012, and it was 48 hours.
Regarding the 1978 release, you must remember that this was way before audiobooks, were made available via the Internet.
Running a close second, would be the last (seventh) "Dark Tower" novel, also by Stephen King and read by George Guidall.
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

mycroftmy wrote:
Are you a member of MENSA? :up:

The books you read are a bit on the 'heavy' side for me :-D

To the first: Nothing of the sort, which some of my post can attest to. :)

As for the second: One of the things I've attempted here on booktalk is to be able to contribute to the conversation's, which is not always an easy thing to do. Reading these two books is just my way of gaining better understanding of some of what's beneath many of those conversation's.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

mycroftmy wrote:
The longest fiction book I've listened to was "The Stand" by Stephen King, and read by Grover Gardner. .
Maybe I'll check that one out, it has good reviews on Audible. And Grover Gardner is also reading the Lyndon Johnson series.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

I am currently struggling with Climate Change - The Facts while participating in edx's online course on Climate Change.

Looking forward to Coursera's climate change class at the end of August.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

I just picked up...."The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak. This one of those rare occasions where I saw a movie which prompted me to read the book. It's usually the other way around for me.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”

Return to “What are you currently reading?”