• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
pallavie01
Official Newbie!

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

Reading Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. It is a collection of short stories. As with much of Lahiri's work, Unaccustomed Earth considers the lives of Indian American characters and how they deal with their mixed cultural environment.
mbach
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I just started The Orphans by Matthew Sullivan. Only 5 chapters in but loving it so far. It's a great YA novel, and you can get it right now for .99! Only through 7.20.15 though! Crazy good deal if you are looking for a fun read :) It says it's a kindle read, but you can read it on your laptop, ipad, iphone, whatever!

http://www.amazon.com/Orphans-Trilogy-1 ... w+sullivan

Check it out!
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

One Man Against the World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner.
Wow. If you're interested in that subject and time period, it's excellent. Based on new declassified documents, some as recently as December 2014.
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

"All The Light We Cannot See" - I'm half way thru it...in spite of all the GLOWING comments, sorry to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the book. Even though the writing is lovely, I'm finding too many forward and backward jumps in time, finding the details repetitive from chapter to chapter, waiting for the paths of the two youngsters to cross, finding the stark reality of war clashing with the fairy tale of the cursed gem...reading on...
Rick Waid
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I am currently reading True Hauntings by Edwin F Becker.
Murmur
Internet Sage

Unread post

Three Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Crystalline wrote:"All The Light We Cannot See" - I'm half way thru it...in spite of all the GLOWING comments, sorry to say I'm somewhat disappointed in the book. Even though the writing is lovely, I'm finding too many forward and backward jumps in time, finding the details repetitive from chapter to chapter, waiting for the paths of the two youngsters to cross, finding the stark reality of war clashing with the fairy tale of the cursed gem...reading on...
Hey, Crystalline, I'm glad to hear you say this, because I had to stop at the halfway point in the book and thought I might be just an old crank with no feelings. I checked into some other reader reactions to the novel and found some who sharply disagreed with the Pulitzer committee. Some of the comments echoed yours but said the book was beautifully written. I don't even agree with that part. Doerr isn't a great wordsmith in my opinion, and sometimes his prose is exceptionally odd, such as this passage from p. 242: "Madame Manec's energy, Marie-Laure is learning, is extraordinary; she burgeons, shoots off stalks, wakes early, works late, concocts bisques without a drop of cream, loaves with less than a cup of flour. They clomp together through the narrow streets, Marie-Laure's hand on the back of Madame's apron, following the odors of her stews and cakes; in such moments Madame seems like a great moving wall of rosebushes, thorny and crackling with bees." This is where I decided to stop reading. Not enough reward in this book to put up with this kind of description.

I'm switching to either Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace, or Ulysses, which I first read decades ago. I usually wouldn't consider reading Ulysses online, but I found a hypertext version that makes getting all the obscure references easy. The text also has different fonts for the straight narration, the dialogue, and the inner thoughts of the characters, which I find handy. This book can be heavy lifting, though I'm thinking that with the right attitude it can be mostly challenging fun.

http://www.columbia.edu/~fms5/ulw01.htm
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I just read THE REVENANT: A NOVEL OF REVENGE by Michael Punke. Soon to be a movie, starring Leo Dicaprio and directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, which looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoebZZ8K5N0

Loosely based on the true story of Hugh Glass, the famous frontiersman, who was mauled by a bear and left for dead in hostile Indian territory. He somehow survived and eventually made his way back to civilization, vowing revenge on the two men who took his rifle and knife, the very things he needed to survive in the wilderness.

An interesting aside, Punke is Deputy United States Trade Representative and US Ambassador to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. Though his 2002 novel is a latent hit, he's not allowed to discuss it or promote it as normal authors do.
-Geo
Question everything
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Why would he be so restricted, geo?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR