• In total there are 12 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

What are you currently reading?

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Re: What are you currently reading?

Unread post

bionov wrote:"Killing Patton" by Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard
The strange death of World War II's most audacious general.
A friend of my dad was telling me of the whole Killing So-and-So series O'Reilly's doing. He was really talking up the Killing Jesus one. Personally I don't think I'll read any of them; I can't stand Bill O'Reilly.

I'm sure the books might be interesting, and I don't knock others for reading his books, but I can't stomach too much hatred and stupidity rolled up into one barely human package.
I am just your typical movie nerd, postcard collector and aspiring writer.
CoolSummer

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Experienced

Unread post

Winter's Tale, Mark Helprin.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
I am haunted by waters.”
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

Movie Nerd: Re "Brando's Smile"--the author presents him as an unschooled intellectual; a poor speller with a remarkably keen mind and constant thirst for knowledge on a vast array of subjects. His personal library contained books on virtually every conceivable subject, and he filled the margins with his own notes and conclusions. Auctioned after his death, his collection of books, scripts and notebooks generated many thousands of dollars. This is a Marlon Brando far different from the "movie star" persona that Hollywood created.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Hal Henry wrote:Movie Nerd: Re "Brando's Smile"--the author presents him as an unschooled intellectual; a poor speller with a remarkably keen mind and constant thirst for knowledge on a vast array of subjects. His personal library contained books on virtually every conceivable subject, and he filled the margins with his own notes and conclusions. Auctioned after his death, his collection of books, scripts and notebooks generated many thousands of dollars. This is a Marlon Brando far different from the "movie star" persona that Hollywood created.
Oh, now I am interested. Anyone who is a natural autodictate is my kind of guy.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Re: "Killing Patton." About a year ago, I read "Killing Lincoln" at the request of my local library club, to write a review. I found the book rife with historical errors, and had not desire to read any of O'Reilly's other "Killing" books.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Re: "Killing Patton." About a year ago, I read "Killing Lincoln" at the request of my local library club, to write a review. I found the book rife with historical errors, and had not desire to read any of O'Reilly's other "Killing" books.
My friend who brought up the Killing books specifically brought up the Jesus one (he and my dad do Bible study together), and he kept talking about how factual it was, and not based on religious dogma. I suspected it might be full of errors though, and after what you said I think I'll stick to not reading it.
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

I just picked up a used hardcover copy of Yann Martel's LIFE OF PI the other day at a book sale down at the library. Some of you may remember the movie they came out with, either last year or this year, with the CGI tiger. It was suposed to won a lot of awards.

Anyway, the book is pretty good so far, though there seems to be a lot of baggy material pertaining to the protagonist's dad's zoo and all, and it bogs the pacing down a lot. But I'm still working through it; it's good enough for me to still be interested.
Last edited by Movie Nerd on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hal Henry
Master Debater

Unread post

The Annotated 'Rime of the Ancient Mariner' ... Martin Gardiner's compelling (so far) study of the S.T. Coleridge poem; beginning with a discussion of the four possibly correct ways of pronouncing the poet's name.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

Movie Nerd: I read "Life of Pi" a couple of years ago. It was okay, a bit slow at times. :yawn: Had no desire to see the movie. :|
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Movie Nerd
Intelligent

Unread post

Cattleman wrote:Movie Nerd: I read "Life of Pi" a couple of years ago. It was okay, a bit slow at times. :yawn: Had no desire to see the movie. :|
I agree that it's slow--it has an awful lot of backstory and religious theory, which is necessary to the plot but still bogs the story down tremendously. I've heard great things about the movie, between the cinematography and the soundtrack and the CGI tiger. One of these days I'll finally see it.
Last edited by Movie Nerd on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”