• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Watchman’s Rattle by Rebecca Costa

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
anewhope
Official Newbie!

Watchman’s Rattle by Rebecca Costa

Unread post

Why can’t we solve our problems anymore? Why do threats such as the Gulf oil spill, worldwide recession, global warming, terrorism, and pandemic viruses suddenly seem unstoppable? These are the questions Rebecca Costa confronts – and offers a solution to –in her show and much anticipated and game-changing book, The Watchman’s Rattle.

Costa pulls headlines from today’s news to show how accelerating complexity quickly outpaces the rate at which the human brain can evolve new capabilities to manage it. With compelling evidence based upon research into the rise and fall of the Mayan, Khmer and Roman empires, Costa shows how insurmountable complexity causes a civilization to quick-fix problems by focusing on symptoms — instead of finding permanent solutions — which leads to frightening long-term consequences. Eventually, a society’s ability to solve its most threatening problems becomes gridlocked, progress slows, and collapse ensues.

A provocative new voice in the tradition of thought leaders Thomas Friedman, Jared Diamond and Malcolm Gladwell, Costa reveals how we can reverse the downward spiral. Part history, part social science, part biology, The Watchman’s Rattle is sure to provoke, engage and incite change.

http://www.lisp4.facebook.com/rebeccadcosta

www.rebeccadcosta.com
wingrider
Official Newbie!

Re: Watchman’s Rattle by Rebecca Costa

Unread post

I just today finished this book. I could not put it down. Her theories go hand in hand with the way I've been thinking for several years now, I was unable to articulate my thoughts very well, but after reading her book I know I was on the right track.
I am disappointed that she didn't actuall give concrete solutions to the many problems facing the world today. Sure she gave solutions to how individuals can improve cognitive ability, diet, exercise, brain training, etc. but really no concrete direction that we can try to steer our leaders into. Maybe if all our political and religous leaders were to read it things might start to improve, but I'm not sure. I truly feel that collapse is imminent and there is no way we can head it off.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”