• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

lolita dresses

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
crystal0813

lolita dresses

Unread post

Having read the book lolita, I have indulged myself in the lolita fashion.
Guys, do you like lolita dresses?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: lolita dresses

Unread post

They're much too expensive for my tastes, and I cannot sew.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Whatever happened to dresses? Girls don't wear them anymore.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

crystal0813 wrote:Having read the book lolita, I have indulged myself in the lolita fashion.
What on earth is a "Lolita" dress? I don't see the connection between fashion and the book "Lolita", can you please explain this to me?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
crystal0813 wrote:Having read the book lolita, I have indulged myself in the lolita fashion.
What on earth is a "Lolita" dress? I don't see the connection between fashion and the book "Lolita", can you please explain this to me?
google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

stahrwe wrote:google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online.
I did google it. This was the response I was hoping to get from crystal0813, I'm smelling spam.
stahrwe wrote: I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.
I'm sorry, but maybe you could get a purse. Shoes are also nice! :)
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I'm surprised you've never heard of the Lolita subculture. I suppose it's not nearly as popular in America as it is in Japan, but it's been a solid trend for quite a few years now. Click here for some Photobucket pics that have been tagged with "lolita fashion."

Also, here is the Wikipedia entry. It's kind of difficult to explain, but it takes a lot of influence from 19th century English fashion, and also combines it with Japanese style clothing. It involves a lot of frills and a lot of lace.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:
stahrwe wrote:google it. I think they are dresses you can buy online.
I did google it. This was the response I was hoping to get from crystal0813, I'm smelling spam.
stahrwe wrote: I think they are dresses you can buy online. I coudn't find one in my size.
I'm sorry, but maybe you could get a purse. Shoes are also nice! :)

thanks for the suggestion.

I think a Lolita post showed up at BT a few months back.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

wilde wrote:I'm surprised you've never heard of the Lolita subculture.
Oh, I have heard of it, I just don't don't like merchandise peddled here, regardless of what culture or subculture it belongs to.

Why do you think this type of clothing is so popular in Japan? Do you think this type of fashion branches off from the Geisha? Geishas wear clothing that is feminine and demure, but this clothing is considered provocative, and attractive to men in Japan. Women wearing this type of "Lolita" apparel, from the Wiki link you provided, state that attracting men is not the reason for wearing this type of clothing. What do you think the underlying reason is? There have been many "subcultures" in dressing over the years. Gothic, punk, bohemian, and those wearing Nehru jackets, etc., but each subculture is making a statement. What statement do you think is being made by wearing Lolita clothing?

And who the hell wears pencil skirts with flats? Ewww! Yes, running for buses in NYC I can see, but as a general rule, Ewwwww!
stahrwe wrote:I think a Lolita post showed up at BT a few months back.
Yes, and it was revived a few days ago.
President Camacho wrote:Whatever happened to dresses? Girls don't wear them anymore.
Wait a second, isn't it hot in GA? Aren't you seeing a lot of sun dresses? Or, are you missing those full length dresses, covering the ankles, arms and the décolleté from 18th century literature? :lol:

Actually, maybe you are missing those full length dresses from the 18th and 19th centuries. Skinny waists and accentuated bosoms were trendy during those periods.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I could totally pull off the Lolita look since I am cursed with big fat cutie cheeks that stops anyone from taking me seriously ever. However, as mentioned, it's so expensive! Fitting in to any subculture is always hard on the pocketbook. Also, chee, time consuming. I don't even blow dry my hair cuz it takes too long. Beyond all that, my time to dress as a creepy child succubus is over. I think at my advanced age of thirty it would be grotesque!

Japan is notorious for finding the school girls and young girls in general very sexually appealing. Not hard to see how this look would be more popular there. And I imagine it suits Asian girls fairly well - they have the cutie face too! Also (this is just my opinion) it seems that Japan is more open to people dressing for daily life in "costumes" rather than simple clothing. I've seen various fads from Japan that seem very costumey and something that would certainly get a triple-take here, even in the very cosmopolitan and blasé city I live in. I don't think every style is a statement per se. Maybe they make one up, but I think sometimes people just want to look a certain way.

Girls still wear dresses - mostly in the summer. That style of dress is a lot more casual, though. Personally, I own two dresses, and only ever wear them at weddings. Pants/shorts/capris/whatever are just a lot more convenient. I had a business meeting on Wednesday and wore a skirt, and all day I was fussing about making sure I sat properly. Ridiculous! In pants you just sit how you sit, no worries about getting into cars, etc.
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”