• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Lolita, part 2, chapters 1-3

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Travels accross America.

Unread post

Travels accross America.

Would anyone like to comment on the last paragraph in part 2, chapter 3:

[quote]We had been everywhere. We had really seen nothing. And I catch myself thinking today that our long journey had only defiled with a sinuous trail of slime the lovely, trustful, dreamy, enormous country, that, by then, in retrospect, was no more than a collection of dog-eared maps, ruined tour books, old tires and her sobs in the night
Ophelia.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

The quote above sums up these three chapters very well. The beauty of the country, a trip that could otherwise be so wonderful, a trapped, abused, terrorized, young rebelious girl, not able to trust this country enough, having been set up by her mother to believe she was bad, then this thought expanded byHumbert, to cry out for help. She can only sob each night while this man who keeps claiming love for her, continues to use her body.
Despite our tiffs, despite all the fuss and faces she made, and the vulgarity, and the danger, and the horrible hopelessness of it all, I still dwelled deep in my elected paradise--..

from the thought that around 1950 I would have to get rid somehow of a difficult adolescent whose magic nymphage had evaporated--to the thought that with patience and luck I might have her produce eventually a nymphet with my blood in her exquisite veins, a Lolita the Second, who would be eight or nine around 1960, when I would still be 'dans la force de l'age'
Driving around america with a prisoner to be used and damaged forever for his pleasure, he plots to do it again. He parks at schoolyards and watching children walk into school has Lolita fondle him. Oh, this man is sick.

I suppose that all petaphiles who are active, must somehow shut off their conscience, or perhaps the strength of their lust is so overpowering that it manipulates their minds or shuts off a portion so that they may have what they crave. Perhaps, out there in the world, there are millions of decent men with these buds of desire that decency, education, and caring has nipped away and buried deep. The ones who accept that these thoughts are wrong and do not allow themselves to ponder, to fantasize, or look and therefore feed the fire. Or not? How much control do we have over what we are sexually attracted to? And how much control to we have over the obsessiveness of that desire?
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Re: Travels accross America.

Unread post

[quote="Ophelia"]Travels accross America.

Would anyone like to comment on the last paragraph in part 2, chapter 3:

[quote]We had been everywhere. We had really seen nothing. And I catch myself thinking today that our long journey had only defiled with a sinuous trail of slime the lovely, trustful, dreamy, enormous country, that, by then, in retrospect, was no more than a collection of dog-eared maps, ruined tour books, old tires and her sobs in the night

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”