• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Lolita, part 1, chapters 23-27

#55: Oct. - Nov. 2008 (Fiction)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Ophelia.
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

It's creepy, yet interesting to be let inside the mind of such a depraved individual. It is interesting how he tries to justify things.

In this section Humbert drugged his Lolita so that she would fall asleep and he could do things to her while 'preserving her purity.' This way she would never have know what he'd done... scary.

Turns out the drug wasn't as powerful as the doctor told him it was and he couldn't do anything anyway.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Turns out the drug wasn't as powerful as the doctor told him it was and he couldn't do anything anyway.
Not exactly: ironically, no drug was needed. Lolita was awake, was no longer a virgin and was eager to experiment with Humbert about what she had learnt with 13-year-old Charlie at camp.
Ophelia.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

I thought this section had a humorous quality to it as Humbert spends the whole night secretly trying to touch the disappointly 'undrugged' Lolita. After his torchurous night of just wanting a little touch, a little stroking which would be enough to get him off, she wakes up and offers him everything almost to his disappointment that is all came so easily.

I would disagree that Lolita was 'eager' to experiment. I think it was more a case that she knew he was interested and looking for this and she was trying to act knowledgeable about it, to act like she knew it all, a kind of adolescent bravado from a rebellious teen.

It is also comical, darkly, that Humbert looks back and feels like he was the one seduced when he has schemed, lied, and manipulated this girl into a bed with him, spent months working on this situation and then when she offers him what he was trying to sneak, to steal, he feels like she is the demon.
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

wrong section

Unread post

My last post, above, should have been in the next section, but when I read Ophelia's post I thought this included the bedroom chapters. I will moved it there as well.

Return to “Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov”