• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ch. 18: Good Form

#57: Nov. - Dec. 2008 (Fiction)
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Please use this thread for discussing this chapter.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I really like that touch - him going back there with his daughter.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

WildCityWoman wrote:I really like that touch - him going back there with his daughter.
Ya, me too. I have a feeling that O'Brien really did take a trip back with a family member.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Just speculating here. I wondered at the way in which O'Brien's preoccupation with his war experiences may have affected his ability to be present in his daughter's life. I recall some hints about this but its been a while since I read the book so I cannot recall a specific reference. Was the return visit with his daughter a way to deal with his and her emotions with respect to this?
golfmaster925

Unread post

This chapter has completely changed my opinion and train of thought about this book. I am almost in shock that the author made up most of this book and lies about things that he said were true stories, in order to evoke a certain mentality in the reader. By lulling the audience into a false sense of credibility, he has lost that audience for the rest of the book and effaces all of the morals and philosophies that he instilled throughout the novel. O'Brien has completely lost my attention and respect. My biggest question is, "Do soldiers actually suffer as much hardship in combat as they say they do, or do they fabricate it in order to personify a hero?"

Return to “The Things They Carried - by Tim O'Brien”