• In total there are 28 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Political Deceit

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Political Deceit

Unread post

For some reason, I must have a different sense of the impact of lying on the national stage. Mitt Romney just released an ad that was intentionally deceitful. This should be treason, or at least a very serious crime. I would feel the same regardless of who the politician is.

Thoughts?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Political Deceit

Unread post

Isn't that dude the biggest flip flopper out there? Here ya go: http://mittromneyflipflops.com/

And do I care? No. I don't care because I realize that I do not have the power to change anything. The American people have made an agreement with themselves to bend over and take it. It would be unbecoming of me not to do the same.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

What have you ever seen in American politics that wasn't deceitful? Perhaps it's just my cynical nature, but looking for honesty in politics is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. I feel much the same about modern journalism as well.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

There really needs to be fact checkers out there who go AFTER some bull-shit like this. Hold their feet to the fire.

WHenever they show up and start talking, someone should come out before them with a disclaimer.

"in the last 3 of his 5 political ads, he broadcast blatant falsehoods. In all cases he has been directed to the facts on the matter but he has not changed those ads, removed them from the air, or apologized for them. That means he isn't just wrong, but a liar.

And now: Mitt Romney!"
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

let's see... what fully encapsulates how rediculous this is....

is there anything?

Say you owe $40,000 dollars because you bought a corvette you had no business buying. THen you are drowning in debt over it.

The government gives you the 40,000 dollars under the table, and then you only have to pay back $28,000.

Hows that account at wells fargo treating you?

Got any stiff penalties lately?
-Guillermo Del Torro

Dave The Marine
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Politicians that lie? Whoever heard of such a thing? Seriously, they all are less then truthful to deceiptive. Kelstan is also right about journalist, they generally don't lie but they report only the facts that support their own positions. A good example is the Bush Tax cuts, liberals reported that the rich got a bigger cut and consevatives reported that the rich's share of the tax burden increased, both facts are true but don't support your position well if you are on one side or the other. That said a journalist should report all the facts and let us be the judge.

Here is my question: Who will be the judge of truth? Every answer I can think of leads me to the same conclusion, I am for free speech even though some/most/all will at some point lie, spin and attempt to decieve us.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Here's a fun / pluck out your eyes kind of graphic for everybody.

-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Current Events & History”