• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Truth About Secular America

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

The Truth About Secular America

Unread post

Steve Chapman
Chicago Tribune

American culture is sick, and secularism is the cause of our disease. That, said Steve Chapman, is the contention of religious conservatives like presidential candidate Rick Santorum, who insist that feminists, liberals, and gay marriage have undermined traditional morality, and that only a return to our Christian roots will cure what ails us. But all evidence suggests that this view is not only backward—it’s wrong.

As America has become more secular in recent decades, “most indicators of moral and social health have gotten better, not worse.” Crime has plummeted. Teen pregnancy is down by 39 percent. Divorce rates are dropping. Abortion rates among adolescents are half what they used to be.

Which states continue to have the biggest social problems? The Bible Belt states, not the supposedly sin-ridden blue states. Mississippi has the nation’s highest rate of church attendance, and also the highest murder rate. Liberal Vermont’s murder rate, on the other hand, is 25 percent of the national average. Massachusetts, the first state to legalize gay marriage, has the nation’s lowest divorce rate. So please, spare us “the sanctimonious fairy tales.” Secular America is doing just fine.

http://theweek.com/article/index/223252 ... uo-america
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: The Truth About Secular America

Unread post

I agree with the author, Dwill. I remember very many social, sexual, gender and racial discriminations that were the norm when we were a more religious and "traditionally moral" (was born in 1934) and while I grew up in the north east and did not experience extreme discrimination, it was still in place socially, if not academically, in housing if not always in employment.

Hands down these times (while not perfect) are much, much better. As our secularism grows so will our other tolerances for differences between us a groups and individuals.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Hands down these times (while not perfect) are much, much better.

False

That is relative to each person, and the specific context of their lives.
Yes, we've had many scientific and humanitarian advancements, but as an economist would say, "There are always tradeoffs."
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:Steve Chapman
Chicago Tribune
http://theweek.com/article/index/223252 ... uo-america
One cannot use the link to get to the article without having a subscription - :(
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
False
Yes, we've had many scientific and humanitarian advancements, but as an economist would say, "There are always tradeoffs."
I am not sure how you just make the statement: "False" to the quote by Lady S. The only support you give is to say economists would say there is a tradeoff - well, yes, there are tradeoffs. Tradeoffs are not inherently bad or worse that the thing traded away. And how can you argue that we are not better off today in terms of things like racial discrimination and the rights and treatment of rape victims or argue with the statistics mentioned in DWill's first post. So, please, support your pronouncement of "False."
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
ant wrote:
False
I am not sure how you just make the statement: "False" to the quote by Lady S. The only support you give is to say economists would say there is a tradeoff - well, yes, there are tradeoffs. Tradeoffs are not inherently bad or worse that the thing traded away. And how can you argue that we are not better off today in terms of things like racial discrimination and the rights and treatment of rape victims or argue with the statistics mentioned in DWill's first post. So, please, support your pronouncement of "False."
Actually as a person of 77 years of age I experienced first hand and heard also first hand accounts by older relatives of customs popular even before I was born.

For instance I remember my father telling me about a brother who thought it great sport to have what today we would call a "special needs' person pull him in a wagon for a considerable distance.

We don't consider it sport today to make fun of those less fortunate than we. . . although of course it does still occasionally happen but not exactly in the same way.

I will add that there was a certain graciousness and gentility to every day life that is missing today. People just being more polite to each other. Much, much less offensive language. People actually used language differently and more effectively.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

False

What is relative to each person? That the modern age is better than 100 years ago? Wouldn't each individual necessarily need to be alive with the same mindset 100 years ago to be able to make the comparison to say that it's relative? That's nonsensical ant.

There are markers that can be detected by surveys. If the markers compare apples to apples, where, precisely, do you suggest there is some relative correlation? And relative to what?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Dave The Marine
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Interesting discussion, but is it secularism that has caused this? Where is your proof? Are the people in Mississippi that are going to church the sameones who are committing the murders? If you say "shazam" and an apple falls from the tree did you cause it? I think we might be assigning an effect to something that may or may not be its cause. Michigan is a blue state, and Detroit is the bluest of its cities and they also have one of the highest murder rates nationally and have for years. Methinks your evidence is weak.

Anyone who thinks that everything has gotten worse is just as wrong as those who think everything has gotten better. While we have improved in some areas like racial equality which some have already pointed out, we have slide back in areas like politiness and civility in public and in public discourse as was pointed out by lady of shallot. When someone says they would like to recapture some of the things lost from the past, I don't think like some that they want to bring back the bad but to bring back the good we have lost without losing the good that we have been able to achieve.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

While we have improved in some areas like racial equality which some have already pointed out, we have slide back in areas like politiness and civility in public and in public discourse as was pointed out by lady of shallot. When someone says they would like to recapture some of the things lost from the past, I don't think like some that they want to bring back the bad but to bring back the good we have lost without losing the good that we have been able to achieve.
Well said.

Interbane,

I will amplify a bit more regarding the comment I made.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Dave The Marine wrote:Interesting discussion, but is it secularism that has caused this? Where is your proof? Are the people in Mississippi that are going to church the sameones who are committing the murders? If you say "shazam" and an apple falls from the tree did you cause it? I think we might be assigning an effect to something that may or may not be its cause. Michigan is a blue state, and Detroit is the bluest of its cities and they also have one of the highest murder rates nationally and have for years. Methinks your evidence is weak.
Whoa Nelly, Blue state does not equal secularism. Not only that, Republicans are not necessarily anti secularist and Democrats are necessarily secularist. Now to your first point, Secularism is being blamed for some of our current ills. I do not think that anyone was trying to say that religion is the cause of the higher murder rate in Mississippi, but rather to defend secularism from the claim that it causes moral decline.

Return to “Current Events & History”